Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am crate training Bessie...and I just wanted to find out if it breaks your hearts as much as it does mine to leave them in the crate while you leave the house? I did this with my older dog and finally got rid of the crate because he was behaving fine and wouldn't use the house as his potty any more. With the puppy though, we aren't close to leaving her with free roam of the house. We've tried leaving her just in the bathroom, but she won't go on the puppy pads and it is leaving the bathroom smelling horrible! Since the crate training began she hasn't been going in the house, she waits until we get outside. I have to put her in the crate at night as well because she will go on the bed in the early morning hours if we don't wake up early enough to let her out. It's just heartbreaking to know that she has to spend half her day in the crate. She has her toys, water and some food. I just needed to let it out. :(

·
Registered
289 Posts
It's tough love. As soon as she learns she'll be out of there right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's tough love. As soon as she learns she'll be out of there right?[/b]

YES!! I can't stand leaving her in there, but she's got to learn to be a good girl and stop going potty all over the carpet!! Luckily we are going to be getting laminate flooring soon! :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
It IS hard to tell those kissable smooshy snooters no. But it is tough love and they learn potty training better than not crating them. Bessie looks like a beauty!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I started crate training a number of years ago with my Lab. It absolutely broke my heart to see him in a "cage" like that. But when I realized that he came to like it and feel safe in it I felt better. Now he is in his crate when I'm out and Baxter the houndie puppy is in his, in the same room, which he loves! His is like an airline crate, unlike BJ's "cage." When I got Baxter from the breeder, there was a small airline type crate in which all 4 pups were trying to cram into!! They used it for play and so when I decided to use the extra large one I had he ran right in and loves it! I have a gate around the area the crate is in where he can relieve himself, if need be, on puppy pads and newspaper. Just remember, dogs are den animals and a crate comes to feel like a nice, safe den for them. They just have to get used to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the posts... this does make me feel better. I know that Jeffery (my basset-ish mix) wound up loving his after a while, but we eventually got rid of it due to lack of space. But Bessie is doing well, it's just me that is having the problem!! :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
We crate both our hounds together when were working and they don't seem to mind at all. All I have to do is say kennel when it's time to go and they both run in there, sometimes Sadie is already laying in there before I tell them kennel and many times we have caught one or the other sleeping in there when were home. The kennel is in our living room and they go in and out of it all the time when were home.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bogie Carter considers his crate his den. He often goes in there to nap or just hang out, his "safe haven" so to speak. We only keep him in it now when we have to leave the house. He just happily trots right in. Of course he gets a special treat for being such a good boy. Every now and then we toss a treat in the crate when he isn't in it, and he doesn't see us put it in there. So he would find a nice surprise when he went in on his own.
One nice thing about being used to a crate is traveling. We have a soft sided crate that easily folds up, and we can take him to places where he can't run loose, and he is content in his crate. We also camp with an RV and the crate is great for his safety if we have to leave him for a few hours. We never leave him in hot weather, however.
Also, if Bessie ever has to be left at the vets she will be used to a crate, and the stay won't be as traumatic. There are many positives about being a crate trained dog, besides being great for potty training.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bogie Carter considers his crate his den. He often goes in there to nap or just hang out, his "safe haven" so to speak. We only keep him in it now when we have to leave the house. He just happily trots right in. Of course he gets a special treat for being such a good boy. Every now and then we toss a treat in the crate when he isn't in it, and he doesn't see us put it in there. So he would find a nice surprise when he went in on his own.
One nice thing about being used to a crate is traveling. We have a soft sided crate that easily folds up, and we can take him to places where he can't run loose, and he is content in his crate. We also camp with an RV and the crate is great for his safety if we have to leave him for a few hours. We never leave him in hot weather, however.
Also, if Bessie ever has to be left at the vets she will be used to a crate, and the stay won't be as traumatic. There are many positives about being a crate trained dog, besides being great for potty training.
Good luck!![/b]

Thanks so much. I appreciate all everyone has had to say. It makes me feel better. She has willingly began to go in on her own so it's been making it easier to see that she's liking it some.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Our Cuddy (12 weeks old) is the first of our dogs we've crate trained. I cried the first few days I left her...even though I had a doggy sitter coming by to check on her I hated it. However- She cheerfully goes into her crate at bedtime- She is almost potty trained... in as much as her little bladder cooperates. She still wakes up once during the night for a potty break but goes back to her crate easily. Thankfully she only has 2-3 days a week in the crate. I will be glad when she is big enough to pen with the others in the day- We have a gated, tiled kitchen with a doggy door... but I think we will keep the crate for bedtime- It is wonderful knowing she'll sleep there and not fighting for covers in our bed! Incidentally, We have had only 2 house accidents this last week- she goes in and out the doggy door on her own... even barks if our old Crabby Abby is in her way!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My Lily spent the entire first 6 months of her life in a crate with few times that she was allowed out of it. I mean she was fed in there, went to the bathroom in it, and was very rarely let out. I WAS NOT HER OWNER AT THE TIME. </span>[/b] Her owners thought she was so cute, but then didn't want to deal with the responsibilities. When I got Lily she would go in her crate when I needed her to, but very reluctantly. I finally convinced my parents to let her stay in the kitchen without the crate and she learned to do it. We don't even have her crate anymore. I can understand how you feel about being mean, that's how I felt, but because I knew of her previous treatment. As long as crates aren't abused they are great tools. Like you said before when the puppy is more responsible they can be eased out of the crate.

~Heather

·
Registered
465 Posts
When we got Elmer, we got a crate out of necessity because we were renting a townhouse with hardwood floors from a friend while we were renovating a house that we bought. (What were we thinking??!) He was very good about it, and would go in on his own with the help of a treat. He went to work with us every day, so the only times he was really in there was if we went out in the evening, and he slept in it. I put a comforter over it with the side to the wall up for ventilation because the kitchen was cold. Sometimes, when he was little and being very naughty, I'd put him in there for a "few minutes" and he'd wind up falling asleep for hours! It was almost as if he was sort of relieved to be in his little "den" where he knew he wouldn't be doing anything wrong. They don't really sleep in crates anymore, I just have one in the back hallway in case we need them out of the way for contractors, etc. (still renovating!) but sometimes I'll miss Elmer and he'll be down the hall in the crate lying down.

Button had never really been in a crate at all when we got him, so he howled the first night or two until we just got a bigger crate and put them in together and that was the end of the crying. For the last year, they slept in it at night together or when we needed them out of the way. Now they have the run of the front part of the house (along with Captain Chaos) and with the addition of the doggie door and a fenced in backyard, life is good. Don't feel mean about it--just don't leave him in too long. There is nothing mean about expecting him to sleep in there, and spend a few hours a day there if you absolutely need him to. Just think how bad you would feel if he had free run of the house and choked on something or something else happened because he was unattended? The crate is for his own good and is a good training too, used properly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
We used to keep Moe in a crate when I couldn't be home. He was young, mischevious, destructive, and for a time, dangerous to children. Eventually he came to love his crate. He slept in it, hid his toys in it, hid in it when he was in trouble, and seemed to consider it a refuge in times of stress. After two years we no longer needed to keep him confined when we couldn't be home but we still crated him at night. When he was four we had an oppressive heat wave and we stopped crating him at night so he could find relief in whatever way he wanted (he liked the bathroom tile floor). For years afterward we kept the door open so he could come and go as he pleased. He's eight years old now. Last year we dis-assembled the crate and put it away - he rarely used it anymore.

When we were using it we called it "home". If we said "Go home, Moe" in he went. He would get a treat for going in promptly. Your dog will get used to it and possibly even grow to like it... sort of like having her own room.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts