Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I'm a newbie here to the forum and know that there are lots of trainers here .I had a question with regards to crate training a 9 week old puppy. How long do you wait after a puppy stops whining before letting her out of a crate. I say 10 to 15 seconds of being settled and quiet before letting her out when we come back home and she can plainly see us in the crate. Can someone fill me in?
Thanks Audrey

·
Registered
27 Posts
We have crate trained a few dogs some successfully and some not so much, so here is my advice for what it is worth. When we are training we use many, many treats, first to entice the pup to go into the kennel on their own, then we put some toys in there or a favorite blanket in there to have some familiarity. Then I (with great patience) wait for the whining to stop and give another treat. Sometimes they get out right away and sometimes not, that way they don't expect if they quit whining that is what is going to get them out. Lots of Love and patience will guide you through the process. Our not so successful attempts ended with a dog in our bed so Good Luck
Tracey

1 - 2 of 2 Posts