Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you whose basset's sleep in a crate: what do they sleep on?

I have a large dog bed in Annie's crate that I made fluffier by putting two more pillows inside. I'm now wondering if this is overkill LOL. Maybe the bed would be enough padding without the addition of the two pillows. I just thought it would be more comfortable for her by being fluffier, but maybe dogs don't need all that.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Our three all have big fluffy beds in their crates. They also get a nice soft micro fleece blanket to sleep on at night (that is when they don't sneak up on the bed.)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So she just got in it...lol. She had to do some digging to make it more to her liking. The other thing is that our neighbor gave us their dog's bed. They had just bought it and their dog passed away :( So today I washed all the bedding and she will be sleeping on it tonight. If I find her snoring on her back, paws in the air, then I guess I'll be sure that she is comfortable :)

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
Keep in mind my don't sleep in there crates most of the ime but there are certainly occassion when travaling , spending the day at trial etc that they do. What each dogs prefers is diferent.

Toughy did not particular care for anything soft in the crate. He only had a piece of artificial lambs wool on the bottom and most of the stime it was scraped up into a ball in the corner. Thew other have a standard 1" foam crate pad with a fleece covering.

·
Registered
150 Posts
We just got Gracie. But her crate is about the size of a standard bed pillow. So that's what we put in there. She seems to enjoy it...sorta. She would rather be in bed with us! :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think my Molly is spoiled. She has a cushy bed, fleece blanket and a rotating well worn tshirt of daddy's that she sleeps with.
A few weeks after we got Molly, I was doing my weekend animal laundry, and I had forgotten to put Molly's bed in the dryer. so for bed time I just folded up a few fleece blankets and put in her crate, thinking it would be soft enough for her to sleep on (she's just a dog, right?? lol)
Well, the crying and fussing didn't stop until her bed was finally dry and I got up in the middle of the night to put it in her crate. She then got comfortable lay her head on the side of the bed and looked up at me with her sweet brown eyes and little wrinkled forehead as if to say, "Why didn't you just do this in the first place?" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
When I first got Berkley he had this orange fleece blanket that he would drag everywhere, it was huge, stunk, and he was three at the time so it was really funny to watch him drag it around even in places like Petco. Then I washed it. Apparently he didn't like that idea cause he wouldn't touch it for a couple days. Even now he only uses it if he's sleeping or playing tug with it. But that's all he had in his crate for a long time and then I felt bad so I gave him a couch pillow. It's about 24 inches by 24 inches and he would scrunch it up and hump it then fall asleep on it. It didn't cover his whole crate but I figure he was ok. It was a pain to wash. It was disgusting and I'd have to go to the laundry mat. Or power hose it. Then a few months ago petsmart wa having a sale on beds. So I got him one and boy does he love it! I took the lining out and put it in a trash bag and then put the cover on that to help with his odor. It's easier to only hve to wash the lining. I noticed the stuffing is just starting to get smelly after 3 or 4 months. I just take it out when I wah the outside and spray it with febreez. (sorry for any spelling errors, I typed all this on an iPhone.)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well she slept on the new bed last night just fine, not snoozing on her back...but not crying, so good enough. I have a feeling that she can smell the other dog on it still, only time will fix that for her I guess. And based on your responses I don't feel like I've overdone the padding issue at all LOL...plus, she deserves a big cushy bed! :)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
As long as there is something in the crate, Boomer is happy. However, when he sleeps on the couch or dad's recliner, he has to have at least a blanket to lie on, but he's not particular on what kind of blanket.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Annie, in my opinion, there's no such thing as overkill when it comes to decorating my crate and making it a super comfy spot! my person read somewhere that someone suggested making the crate the fluffiest, comfiest spot w/lotsa blankets and bedding... i like it! :)
--Worm

·
Registered
761 Posts
Virga has a couple of towels on the bottom of her kennel and then an old body pillow of my husband's lining the back and sides of the kennel. But she ends up with one end of the pillow on the floor and she lays on that. Doppler just has an old comforter folded up in the bottom of his kennel. I think they both like their bedding. They also have a huge pillow bed in the living room that I'm thinking about throwing the stuffing away and just filling it with cedar chips. Not sure yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts