Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone ... I was just wondering what your thoughts would be on this ...

Mocha and Beldin so far have been used to sleeping in a section of the kitchen that we closed off for them. (Ever since they outgrew their puppy crate)

They have always been together right from birth pretty much (yes they're from the same litter).

The only times they have been seperated for any long period of time has been when Mocha's in heat. ((I am planning on getting both dogs "fixed" pretty much as soon as we get into the new house, within that same month)).

Anyhow, the new place has a different layout and I wouldn't be able to just section off a part of the kitchen like I did here, so I was thinking it'd be a good idea to get "the twins" (as they're called around here) used to a crate again.

So what my question is ... in your oppinion, should I get them each a seperate crate? - Or should I get one big enough for the both of them since they're used to being together?

I can see pros and cons for either solution, but I wanted to know what you all thought?

Thanks much!

[ March 23, 2006, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: ChuckleBerry ]

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
or Get two larger size crates and let them decided.

Personally if I were to crate the dogs it would be one dog per crate. However most leave crates acessiable to the dogs all day long even when they are home. In those instance two in a crate is fine. As one is free to leave or you can closely supervise.

some ideas on crate training

Crate Training

Crate Training

M

·
0 Posts
I got Rusty and Stickers just over a month ago. They had just turned one year old. They were NEVER separated. The didn't sleep in a crate but had pipe beds at the breeders. They had the freedom of her family room at her house. I didn't and still don't trust them loose at night or when we leave the house. The only time they had been crated was when they went traveled with the breeder for short periods of time. I got my German Shepherd's old crate out and they both immediately went inside to cuddle, especially the first couple hours here. They needed to be together. They STILL sleep in their crate together. I wouldn't dream of separating the two of them. They are glued at the hip. They are also in there if we go out. They seemed to have it worked out who sleeps in what spot in the crate. My crate is made by Midwest and is 48 Long by 35 Wide. It is definitely big enough for both of them to move around. I've had it for 13 years and it is STILL in great condition. My 2 just got spayed & neutered on Monday. I just had to make sure Stickers wasn't in heat. I had her spayed before her next heat cycle was due in May. Like Mike said, I leave the door open and their bedding in their 24/7. They do go in during the day and nap. Good Luck!

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have a crate for each dog. When we aren't home, Edith Ann is crated because she's still very young and might do something harmful to herself. Charlie is older and wiser, so he's not crated during the day. His crate is left open, and he quite often goes in there on his own. At night, both dogs are crated.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Mikey T:
or Get two larger size crates and let them decide.
Thank you, Mike. :)

Unfortunately I'm on a fairly scrict budget at the moment and I can't afford two large crates... it's gotta be two small or one large - that'll be about the same price - but two large is beyond what I can afford right now, hence my dilema.

But thank you for your advice :)

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Your dogs are fairly young, I believe? As dogs mature, they can develop personality conflicts that prevent them from amicably sharing a crate as adults. It would probably be easier and smarter in the long run to get them each a crate and keep the crates side-by-side--at least when your bitch isn't in season.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Hard to say, if it were me depending on how soon you planned to get them spayed/neutered. A doggy pen you could set up might be an option. Just depending on where you could set it up. But barring that I would go for two crates.

A

·
0 Posts
Is there even a hallway or any area you could gate them into? a bathroom?

A

·
0 Posts
Chuckleberry,

Check www.craigslist.com for dog crates. You may find two of the larger size for less money. I checked and there is a list available for Vancouver, BC. I'm not sure how far away you are from the city proper, but it is worth a try! Good luck.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by bcc11:
Chuckleberry,

Check www.craigslist.com for dog crates.  You may find two of the larger size for less money.  I checked and there is a list available for Vancouver, BC.  I'm not sure how far away you are from the city proper, but it is worth a try!  Good luck.
Thanks for the link! :)

Unfortunately for me, getting to Vancouver would be a chore - I live on the island and right now ferry prices are atrocious and shipping wouldn't be very inexpensive either.

... I think we found a solution though at least for now.

I got one larger crate that the both of them fit very nicely in and both Mocha and Beldin took to it right away with very little fuss at all! They seem to actually really like it!

I figure the one crate will do for now while they're still young and actually like being together.

I'll be getting them spayed/neutered within the next few weeks so long before Mocha's next heat.

Also that'll give me some time to save up again and maybe get another larger crate later on just in case the need should arise.

Thank you all for your advise and comments though, I appreciate it! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts