Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior to going to work I have to look and see what could be eaten or spilt on the counter. I have watched as I get into my truck and see Ruby sitting ontop of the wee table beside the counter. I have tried honking at her and she casually looks back at me through the window. If she could thumb her nose at me she would. Folks that have lived beside me are humored while they watch her antics as soon as I leave. Looking back the most destructive antic was knocking my cordless handset into her dog water bowl. All the telephone numbers were erased! Yeah, I have found the pound of butter half eaten underneath my pillow on my bed, eaten the whole loaf of bread forgotten on the counter etc. I just have to be one smarter than Ruby and see the counter as she would see it when I leave. Those short legs are no handicap whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
When our Ruby was a puppy, she'd try to counter surf a couple of times and I've found a very effective way to handle it.

First, as you stated, don't put anything where she can get to, second, when you see her ready to jump, teach her not to. I know it sounds simplistic, but Ruby doesn't jump (I can read her mind or so it seems) and can tell when she's up to no good. Or, better yet, some how block the kitchen so your basset can't get in there when you are gone. That's what we did. Oh and crate training works real well for things like this.

Good luck!

Janice and little Ruby

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dean - I built several traps after reading your post on the other thread. My Copper knocked one of them down out of curiosity almost immediately. Then he left them alone for about 24 hours until I "baited" all of them with a couple of kibbles. He tripped another one about an hour later. He still gets up on the table, but in locations where there are no traps. I classify it as a partial success, since he avoids the traps, but not the rest of the table. I'll keep trying...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts