Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there :) My Basset has been trained by me took me a long time as I basicaly found what worked for me and him and is first basset i owned so was in for a shock as dog before this was a mongrel but she was highly trainable no hound in her etc. Any way was wondering about whether my Basset be suitable for truffle hunting..my doubts are due to the very nature of his breed which comes with being a basset ! He could probably be trained to get the scent down and find but would he be too distracted by other scents...as when they are outside they or he anyway pretty much wants to please himself and not me and he does not even respond to a T bone steak as a way for him to behave outside I had to use other methods like a stick etc as I noticed he has an inate fear of table legs so i got a stick and i trail it along the ground about 6 inches away from his face and walk just a few inches ahead of him and he basical will not trun off in the direction or side the stick is on.So am thingking would we get to the forest and he would be like I can smell all thes truffles but am just gonna follow this dog scent i found and pull mum miles across the field to find out where this dog went lol

·
Registered
13,040 Posts
I have dogs the Field trial and do scent work they do not go off hunting while doing scent work. but I find Bassets are generally quite easy to train easier than many so call easy to train breeds.

1.he does not even respond to a T bone steak as a way for him to behave outside I
this is not uncommon when the dog is overwhelmed, You need first to get the behavior in a more sterile les distracting environment then slow add different distrack to strengthen the behavior.
see

I noticed he has an inate fear of table legs so i got a stick and i trail it along the ground about 6 inches away from his face and walk just a few inches ahead of him and he basical will not trun off in the direction or side the stick is on
basset hounds are soft the respond training wise poorly to fear, punishment and intimidation they shut down not going to get you where you want to go. Keep a stick beside the dogs head is not at all what you want the Finished behavior to be, but if you go this route you will be stuck with it because while use the stick you are not teach the dog one single thing. It may be a means to avoid a behavior you do not want but it is not training anything,.

for example start indoors clean room hide truffle scent with food in a cardboard box dod indicates food in box open boc give food repeat, repeat repeat trian and see if dog will indicate just on truffle. if so continue this way if not add food back in with truffle. Varry the food but not the truffle repeat, repeat etc then try without food and truffle again until the dog relieable indicates on truffle scent. Then you can move to say clean sterile kids samd box you bury truffle in, first indoors then out doors then in backyard without sandbox. slow progressing to areas that typically have more distractions,

getting started in scent work using low distraction environment

and if trained properly other scents are not a distraction to act up
Bitsy Hunting rabbits

Bitsy tracking human scent
Nancy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts