Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Duncan seems to cough and wheeze alot. He sounds like an old man! It does sound like it is wet and it seems to be getting worse with exertion.
Now the puppy does it too.
The vet says it's no big deal as his lung sounds are clear, however this doesn't seem right. When he comes in from outside his cheeks are puffing in and out. I have also noticed that smoke will make it worse. Maybe asthma?
Occasionally when he is sleeping he will suddenly start breathing really fast in and out, like puffing. And the puppy is doing this also, I just don't get it!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd go with Murraysmom's advice and get a second opinion from another vet. It doesn't sound right for your dog's to be doing that. Could it be kennel cough? (I don't think they need to have been into a kennel to get this)

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I'd go back to my vet and express my concerns again to him/her and insist on an x-ray. I love my vet but can't say she's been right on the 1st visit every time. Nor would I expect her to be-just that she listen to my concerns and do an x-ray if I insist.
You mention smoke. Are the dogs exposed to smoke on a regular basis?

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to smoke, and I only smoked in the car when I was driving. It seemed that he would cough more then. Now however, I have quit smoking, never smoked in the house, and his coughing is so bad that he wakes up at night wheezing in and out. I doubt that its kennel cough because it doesn't have that "seal" bark to it. It just sounds like he has a frog in his throat. I have an appoinment, we'll see how that goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts