Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my husband and i have been trying to research a lot about our basset hound and her health. Our dog, daisy, is 3 and 1/2 years old and has been very sick since day 1. We have been told so many different things from different vets. First as a puppy it started as "kennel cough" then led to pneumonia, etc. We have racked up thousands of dollars in vet bills and really don't know what to do. She is "bone skinny". Definitely what a Basset hound isn't supposed to be. She eats, then doesn't eat. She starts to gain a little weight, then loses it. She has a hacking cough like there is something lodged in her throat, but, with xrays they never found anything. She is very weak. Her stools are brown, then black (tar). We have looked up the breeder who we got her from and her number is disconnected(go figure). We have looked up so many things to try and figure out what it could be, because of money issues and vet bills, we are very worried about our Daisy. Do any of Daisy's symptoms relate to any of you? Any advise for us? thank you in advance!
Shawn and Jessica

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Where do you live? If you are near a vet school, you might consider taking her there to be evaluated. We live near the Univ. Of Pennsylvania vet school and know several people who got help for their dogs when their local vets were stumped.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I very much agree with what Murray'sMom has to say. If you live in California, go to UC Davis. If in Washington State, Idaho, or Western Montana, Washington State University has a great veterinary school.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Out here in AZ Valley Fever is very common in both dogs and humans. Valley Fever is a fungal infection that is usually in the lungs. The dogs (and humans) breathe in the spores and can cause a symptoms like caughing, weight loss, seizues, lameness and others. There is a lot of info on Valley Fever on the web. She may have had it before you got her, it is usually only in areas like AZ. So depending on where you live and/or where the breader may have been. A blood test can determine if she has it. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for all your suggestions,but unfortanetly we lost are beloved daisy last friday.after a long battle with her illnes she finally lost her battle,she was not doing so well and when i came home she was gone,i wish we could have figured out what was wrong with her.we will miss you daisy.

daddy,mommy,bayleigh and brooklyn love you!!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this! When I saw your post I was hoping for a good update-

Sincere condolences to you and your family on the loss of Daisy.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.

~Heather

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I am very sorry. How hard it must be to not know what was wrong. Did you every find out?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Very sorry to hear of your loss. It's so hard when they're young; my thoughts are with you. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts