Basset Hounds Forum banner

101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
In my opinion, $350 is NOT an exhorbitant amount to pay for a dog from a reputable rescue (like breeders, there are good rescues and bad ones, and many groups/people pretending to be rescues that are really just puppy brokers). I've seen what rescues often have to spend on dogs they take in, even straightforward ones that just require neuter and shots. To get a healthy, altered, vaccinated and vet-checked dog for $350 is a bargain in my books. And as mentioned above, the cost (even the cost of a $1000-1500 puppy from a good breeder), is negligible in comparison with what it costs to care for the dog for it's lifetime. The purchase price of the dog is nothing compared to it's upkeep - which is why we often say there's no such thing as a "free" puppy.

·
Registered
633 Posts
$350 is not alot at all. Just the cost to upkeep their facilities, pay employees, take care of the animals is not even covered in that amount. I was more than happy when I saw Lola to pay for her transport, adoption fees and spaying. These fees would deter someone who is being impulsive or who does not have the money to care for a dog. When Barney got sick I had like $400 in vet bills in a week buying the dog is going to be the smallest part of caring for your dog. Dogs are expensive and at the drop of a hat something could go wrong and it is your responsibility to care for them.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I am pro-rescue and anti-backyard breeder. That being said, I am bothered by the escalating prices of rescues only because there are a lot of people out there who are going to say to themselves "Why should I pay $350 for a 'used' dog when I can get a puppy for the same price or less?" Yes, they are not as enlightened as we all are (sarcasm implied), but they outnumber us vastly. A lot more outreach needs to be done ALL OVER THE COUNTRY/WORLD before rescues should charge more for their dogs than "breeders". Until then, us enlightened folk need to keep donating to the rescues.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Our shelters here I believe charge around $125-$150 for a dog. I know the breed specific rescues are more. I wonder if it is because they can take more time to find a home because they have more foster care I don't know.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Hello everyone,

This thread has been reported numerous times by different users. Just a friendly reminder to keep discussions civil, leave out personal insults and do not post statements about a kennel unless you have first hand experience or can provide sufficient evidence to back up your statements (i.e. "I heard from a friend of a friend.." does not count).
Thank you. You made my point exactly.

I realize that I am new here and don't tend to make waves, but the trashing of this breeder really got under my skin. Especially since I know the breeder, this is where I got my baby girl from. They are certainly NOT a puppy mill, they are not doing this for the "big bucks". As I stated, if I were looking for a new baby, I would immediately go back there, and plan to do so.

This thread has morphed into something completely off the OP, so this is my last post in this thread.

I joined this forum because I thought it would be fun to "hang" with others that had the same passion for bassets as I have. Jennifer.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hmm... wow has this thread taken a turn for the worst. I don't have experience with this particular breeder but for the person who said they would rather pay less for the dog and be able to afford their vet care. I hope you have deep pockets... I say this because this was my thought process at one time when we bought our first basset. We went to a "breeder" and got her and she had some serious behavioural issues her entire life which was also cut short after a short and expensive bout with chemo therapy for her lymphoma which she came down with at the age of 3 1/2.

Now after that experience I have since learned the difference between that type of BYB breeder and a reputable breeder. Now I may have paid much more for my puppy from this reputable breeder than for the first one but I can honestly say she has been by far the healthiest most well adjusted dog I have ever and probably will ever know. The difference between the care taken by a reputable breeder and a byber is a world of difference but those of you who have never experienced it will never understand.

So yes I speak from life experience that what you lack paying to a byber for a dog of substandard breeding you will most definately make up for in vet bills versus what you may pay out front for a well bred dog who's health the breeder will stand behind for the life of the dog. Not to mention with that well bred dog you will have a lifetime resource and friend in that breeder for life.

Just my two cents for what it's worth.

And yes I agree with Kriska on the thought that if you aren't willing to put in the time to research your breeder and support a good one then you may as well go through rescue.

Not saying you need to travel across the country to get a dog... you may be able to find a reputable breeder in your neck of the woods. After some research I found one in mine and it has changed my life forever.

101 - 107 of 107 Posts