Basset Hounds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
I doubt any of the good kennels have "breeding pairs". Unless a litter was really spectacular it doesn't make sense to do the same breeding over and over if you are trying to improve.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I doubt any of the good kennels have "breeding pairs". Unless a litter was really spectacular it doesn't make sense to do the same breeding over and over if you are trying to improve.
The pair was bred twice times that was it. She was not breeding anymore after this litter. Her children were getting into serious mushing competitions so she had decided to stop breeding and focus on a team of 7 mush dogs she had just received. Around here no one breeds bassets they are difficult to find. They are not popualr at all I have no idea why but they are not. I have seen a few the 30 years I have lived around here. This is lab and golden retriebver country. This was her last litter the parents are now pets. Also things like giardia can happen anywhere.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I don't understand why someone could not just have one breeding pair at a time and be good. I understand the concept of why you would not continually brred them but a few times does not seem like alopt. I would prefer to get a dog from someone who is focusing on one pair these dogs were only bred 1x a year that seem reasonable and only for a few litters.I do not want to get a dog over the internet I need to see and hold the puppy make sure the kennel is clean make sure I lioke the breeder.Show breeder or not barney is the most wonderful tempered dog I have had. He is so gentle with babies loves people goes right to them and always sits in front of them to be pet. He plays for hours with my 3 pound chihuahua and is good with her and is submissiv to mt older females. I would not trade him for any show dog out there. He is also very beautiful with shiny red and white fur I think the breed may make a come back around here. I know I have spoken to people who want one but again the breeders are very far from here and most people are not going to fly in order to get a dog and no one I know would want to get one only seeing pics, These web sites can look very professional but be puppy mills in disguise.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I didn't say that quite right Soundtrack I should have said they may have several dogs to breed with or to,but reputable breeder's do not continue to breed the same two dogs over and over because ,like you said,it is not improving the breed ,and,you could have a great litter one time and a marginal litter the next.Marginal isn't what we are striving for,plus you can't call yourself a reputable breeder just breeding the same two dogs over and over,well,maybe a back yard breeder.Health is a main issue in this breed ,how many problems are seen because the breeder doesn't do everything available to him/her to breed healthier dogs.Pedigrees are an important aspect of breeding ,if you don't know the relatives of your dogs you don't know what you should breed to and which to stay away from.I have seen many of my puppies grandparents,and some great-grandparents,I knew what I wanted these puppies to be,sometimes its a hit sometimes a miss but the more information you educate yoursel with the better decisions you'll make when breeding your dogs. I can't say don"t buy over the internet because most of my puppies went to people who contacted me this way ,though I do not have a website.One did not get to meet me personally,nor I him,but his girlfriend checked me out when she came to pick up his puppy and I have no doubt if she had reported back to him anything didn't seem right she would have been instructed to leave without the puppy.I also checked him out ,He told me he had been to see a reputable breeder in the state he was in ,I know of her so to be sure he wasn't just throwing names around I emailed her.She did meet him and liked him ,she just didn't have puppies at that time. It took quite a bit of trust on both our parts to go through all that,him because he didn't know me at all and me because I don't sell a puppy to someone just because they have the money to buy it.My puppies mean more to me than that. Jen didn't meet me till we got together in Ohio,6 hours from her house and 6 from ours.If I had not been what she expected and Mabel was in some sort of poor shape,she probably would have taken her just to get her away from me(knowing her as well as I do now)obviously that wasn't the case and Mabel loved her from the moment she got in the back of our car. I'm not saying these people sell dogs in poor shape but what they are doing is advertising a dog as being show quality(whose opinion is that based on)when they don't show. Mabel is show quality , based on the evaluation of people in the breed for 45 years,and my own evaluation(20 years) I almost kept her because I didn't have a show home available for her,but I knew about Flash,she knew of my puppies, and now she is stuck with me forever because she has Mabel,sort of a two for one deal.So this is not so easily cut and dried but a definate buyer beware.

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
Also things like giardia can happen anywhere.
Sure Giardia can happen anywhere, but a good breeder is treating their pups for parasites from the time they're 2-3 weeks old to ensure that they do NOT have them when they are sold. The one time I sold a dog who turned out to still have some I paid for the deworming. It is my responsibility to make sure the dogs are healthy when they leave my premises (or if there is an issue that the buyer is well aware of it).

I don't understand why someone could not just have one breeding pair at a time and be good. I understand the concept of why you would not continually brred them but a few times does not seem like alopt.
Because if you are actually trying to improve on what you have, to produce the best pups possible, then you want to select the best possible partner for your female. If you get both dogs as pups (as people who have "breeding pairs" frequently do), then the odds of the male being the best mate for the female are quite slim. Along with that is the fact that by the bitch is mature, or by the time she is ready for the next breeding, you quite often have discovered a male you like even better than what you had originally planned. Also, as you learn more about the breed your choices change. Good breeders also want to bring in different traits from different pairings.

·
Registered
12,830 Posts
Around here no one breeds bassets they are difficult to find.
there are plenty of quality breeder in MA and in new england contact Pilgrim basset hound club

The one time I sold a dog who turned out to still have some I paid for the deworming. It is my responsibility to make sure the dogs are healthy when they leave my premises (or if there is an issue that the buyer is well aware of it).
Like I have said before every ones criteria is going to be a bit different in what they look for in a breeder. for many it the colsest one that happen to have a litter when they decided to start looking. the often pay for their choices. I want a breeder that takes responsibility for the dogs they bring into the world. like Mirriam does.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I wouldn't recommend restricting your search to just one region. Last time I helped buy a purebred dog we were in Texas, the puppy was in Ohio, and we drove up there to pick him up.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I wouldn't recommend restricting your search to just one region. Last time I helped buy a purebred dog we were in Texas, the puppy was in Ohio, and we drove up there to pick him up.
yup

my folks traveled for every hound they've ever gotten.
Lulu was from Crystal Springs, MS
Austin was from Opilika, AL
I hail from West Monroe, LA

·
Registered
633 Posts
I don't know I find this kind of dissapointing I thought this was a forum about bassets to talk about our dogs. Seems more like self promotion. Sorry I am new so I know I will take alot of flack but this has soured me on this forum maybe if you reread the way you give your opinions you will see how many people would take it the wrong way. Crazy i would have never bought from this kennel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Actually, to me it sounds snobbish. I know that's not the intent, but that's how it comes off. I personally do not have the money as a SAHM to travel across country and pay $500-1500 for a dog. I have always wanted a Basset, so when I found one locally for a good price for me, I jumped at it. They have been great pets so far. I'm not buying for showing or anything like that. The vibe that this thread is giving is that if you can't travel across country, pay a fortune for a dog, then something's not right. Again, I know this isn't really how it's being meant (at least I don't think so), but it's how it feels.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi -- I am still in town and leave tomorrow so dislike me if you wish BUT I do have to comment on this one -- it may not be popular but so be it. I agree with Bella and Claire! Although I do not like the Corkey site either we have to stop this thread right now! It is starting to look like the blog that we all fought so much against a few weeks ago --- are we not doing the same thing that the feline lady was doing to Mrs. B.? Lets let it be and stop slamming this Corkey breeder. By letting this go on we are not going to stop her and at the same time we have made our point but are turning into the same as the feline-ladys type of blog.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi -- I am still in town and leave tomorrow so dislike me if you wish BUT I do have to comment on this one -- it may not be popular but so be it. I agree with Bella and Claire! Although I do not like the Corkey site either we have to stop this thread right now! It is starting to look like the blog that we all fought so much against a few weeks ago --- are we not doing the same thing that the feline lady was doing to Mrs. B.? Lets let it be and stop slamming this Corkey breeder. By letting this go on we are not going to stop her and at the same time we have made our point but are turning into the same as the feline-ladys type of blog.
We don't dislike you! :D

I completely agree with you! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well said, paisleysmom! Some of the comments in this thread come off as judgmental and condescending, which in turn accomplishes the opposite of what you're trying to do -- educate people about responsible breeding, dog ownership, etc. Attacks and judgments actually drive people away, and cause what might have been a good educational opportunity to be lost.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Yeah, I's agree w/Paisley too-- ideally, we're not about slamming others or putting them down. My bottom line is that in general, I wish that breeders would accept more responsibility for the puppies they make, and make sure they take really good care of them, and not have "Health Guarantees" that absolve them of such. Like I said, I would give Corkey the benefit of the doubt, and feel that their guarantee should be rethought if they are indeed taking good care of their puppies.

Sleepy asked a ?? about this particular kennel, which is how it got brought up in the first place. No one had heard or bought from it-- or at least they hadn't replied initially. So people did give their opinion-- and it was a negative review because there were a number of red flags. I'm not sure that's slamming anyone or trying to be snobby, more that people are trying to steer you away from a potentially bad decision. and actually, it is good that Nan from Corkey Kennels & someone else who bought from them posted, to give their side of things. that gives a more balanced perspective.

there is a bigger picture issue here, which is why all the replies I think, and that is that there are more basset hounds in circulation than there are homes for them.... for a myriad of reasons. but that is why there are so many bassets in rescues. so to me, it does make sense to try to buy from responsible breeders. Breeders like Bubbad who are making sure the pups go to good homes, and if it doesn't work out, she takes them back-- that is not contributing to the homeless basset situation. So, the breeders here tell the steps they take to try to be responsible-- I'm not sure that's self promotion at all.

there are breeders who breed for betterment, and that is great. actually (& let me know if I am wrong), I think that litters that have show puppies often have "pet" quality puppies also-- in the sense that these other puppies would not be "show" quality for whatever reason. so that is a good way of obtaining a "pet" puppy. and then there are definitely rescues, definitely able to get a good rescue dog or rescue puppy, as a lot of bassets here are. in between the two, there is a lot out there. It does make sense to me to be careful & not inadvertently (like we did) contribute to the homeless basset problem, by avoiding irresponsible breeders.

For example, although of course I love Worm, I've now found out after the fact that he has, like, 100 half-siblings out here. And we've already seen 2 of them come back in basset rescue. it's unfortunate & sad, and it's not about putting others down, but being picky about getting your puppy. if you're not, it's possible to be contributing to irresponsible breeding & that is why people here are passionate about responsible practices. and as Mikey has said many, many times in this thread, you are the ultimate judge of that is good & right for you, and you make the decision about whether you think a breeder is responsible or irresponsible. it's more than just about the puppy we buy-- even more than just it's health or temperament or whether it's a nice dog. that puppy has a bunch of littermates & parents that could keep conceiving & producing more basset puppies. and it makes sense to me to keep that in mind when choosing who we are buying from, as our money essentially supports them & their breeding practices.

so please, let's just all use our judgment wisely, is all. we should probably, instead, focus on all the breeders out there that are doing it right. (instead of wasting emotion & energy on everything else)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Actually, to me it sounds snobbish. I know that's not the intent, but that's how it comes off. I personally do not have the money as a SAHM to travel across country and pay $500-1500 for a dog. I have always wanted a Basset, so when I found one locally for a good price for me, I jumped at it. They have been great pets so far. I'm not buying for showing or anything like that. The vibe that this thread is giving is that if you can't travel across country, pay a fortune for a dog, then something's not right. Again, I know this isn't really how it's being meant (at least I don't think so), but it's how it feels.
You said it better than I do. My whole point was this kind of talk would make other people feel embarassed about where they got their dogs. I have a life time health agreement with Barney and I certinly did not bargain shop for him. He was wormed from 3 weeks and vaccinated started on hearworm and if I ever for some reason could not keep him I can bring him back. She was local but not a backyard breeder.

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
So now it's considered snobbish to think that when you sell (or buy) a dog it should be healthy, sound and free of parasites? And that if it's not the breeder should take responsibility?

Whatever.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
So now it's considered snobbish to think that when you sell (or buy) a dog it should be healthy, sound and free of parasites? And that if it's not the breeder should take responsibility?

Whatever.....

That's the whole point. I said nothing about that health guarantees or anything like that. I only said that it sound snobbish to say that you have to travel across country and pay a fortune and that if you don't it's all bad. I was assuming that wasn't the vibe that was given, but you just proved it.

·
Registered
633 Posts

Whatever.....
Don't be silly of course that is not what is being said. Just reread the way things are being said by the "experts" on this site you will see where offense could be taken/ Also bashing another breeder to the extent that she was is not right. especially when you have never even spoken to them. Any breeder who makes the assumption that giardia can be prevented by simple worming is wrong my dog was wormed from 2 weeks on. He could have drank from a puddle with giardia and no one would have known for two weeks he had it he did not come home with any symptoms of being sick. Mnay adult dogs are carriers of giardia and never show any symptoms.

·
Registered
633 Posts
http://www.basset.net/boards/general-basset-hound-discussion/14258-hard-post.html
This whole thread was everyone being upset about some women who did not know this breeder bashing her about what happened to her puppies. People who read that thread she was psoting may now have a negative vibe from this breeder which is unfortunate since the people at fault where the ones who had custody of the dogs. That the same thing as saying because Barney came down with giardia ten days after I got him meant my breeder was not a good one.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Oh dear, I think there are some wires being crossed here. I do have opinions on this matter but really do not want to get involved as it all appears to be getting a little heated. I really think we should let this thread die, take a step back for a second so we can be the friendly community I know we are again.

41 - 60 of 107 Posts