Basset Hounds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
else. If you have any concerns, please come and visit me before posting them on a public forum
sorry it does not work that way you open your self up for critisim fair or not simply by running a business on the net. and that is how people/consumers will share info.

Quite frankly
do not show because I have Multiple Sclerosis.
is a lame excuse for not showing. First if you are healthy enough to raise dogs you can show them but even given that you think a wheel chair cane etc would interfere in getting a fair shake in the show ring there are alternative. Many breeder do not show their own dogs but hire someone else to do so. Also the fact that you have not gotten any clientel to show is telling as well.

The purpose of showing it to get an independant evaluation on the quality of the dogs, looking like they are suppose to and having proper movement and structure io perform what they were originally intended to do. . Granted it is just one aspected of the overall quality of a dog but it is an important one and one where a breeder own biases can play a major role in getting them off track hence the importance of having an independant eye judge such merits Some other thing are a bit more objective and the breeder can make verifiable rational judgements

The Breeed standard in the UK and as a conscequence all across europe has changed to modify what was thought as excess in basset in the UK that have led to heath and physical problems of the breed. I not starting a debate on the varacity of such claims only the the kennel club and member clubs felt it necessary to change the standard to adress these supposed excess When this can occur even with policing through show etc really point out the dangers that can occur when a breedesr start breeding to their individual preferrences and standards rather than that of what a collective of responsible and dedicated individule believe is best for the breed.

Showing is not the be all end all of being responsive to protecting the breed and breeding to improve the breed , there are other ways to demonstrated this such as proving the dogs in the activity the were intial bred to perform , field trial or better yet both confirmation and field trial ie dual champions,

Abscent those two things it is very difficult to impossible to make a claim as to breeding for the betterment of the breed, which is a tenet of most for being a responcible breeder hence the reason it becaome and issue for many but there are other.

not say there are write or wrong answers to any individual question but how they are answered is going to effect individulaes regard to how responsibilbe a breed you are or not. There is no black and white devididing long each individual has to make that judgement on their own

1. what genetic testing is done on sire , dam before mating and subesquently when appropriate on offspring

2. in abscence of genetic testing or their being a gentic test what step do you take to minimize other none genetic risk that are known to occur in bassets. from hip displaysia to allergies and tons that are a lot more serious.

3. what health gurantees do you give. Is the genetic problem have a time limit as many if not most do not show up for 5 -10 years. Are you willing to help pay for or bear the entire cost for treatment of a probelm that is genetic in origin

4. how do you prevent puppies / dog that are not breeding quality that you sell from adding to the number of dogs produced each year, limit akc registration, spay, nueter contracts veting of perspective owners etc.

5. Do you take responsibility for every dog you produce., while you take anyone back no questions asked to be carefore for life or until a suitable home can be found.

It's also not a lucrative business either as we hardly make any money because it all goes back into the dogs
6 what step do you take to socialize puppies to the home environment and other dogs including other breeds

most quality and responsibile breaders loose money they breed for the betterment of the breed not profit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Mikey T,

I'm just curious, because you have a lot of information on bassets, are you a breeder? What is the nature of your experience with the breed (aside from being owned by a basset, of course :O)?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
6 what step do you take to socialize puppies to the home environment and other dogs including other breeds

most quality and responsibile breaders loose money they breed for the betterment of the breed not profit.

AMEN MIKEYT!!!!!!!!! The mere fact that it was mentioned that one is also doing it to make a little money on the side... is, to be perfectly frank, loathesome.
you breed to better the breed.
you charge for pups in order to recoup some of your cost.

(i knew this was gonna' get good, btw...)
my part in this is done tho.
happy arguing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Originally Posted by Esther
(i knew this was gonna' get good, btw...)
Me too! As soon as Sleepy posted the first time.

When I originally posted, I was looking for honest opinions, without drama and insults. That's what I got...until today. I guess this message board is like all the rest of the Internet boards. I have to say I'm disappointed. I was hoping to use this board as a resource once I got a new puppy, since it's been so long since I went through all the puppy goodness.

My unsolicited opinion: all of this attacking and drama (without constructive feedback) discourages people who just come here looking for good information. It's not a good way to get your message across.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Sleepy
i totally understand why what you see here looks like drama however trying to look at it from all sides what you are seeing is concern for not only you as a buyer, but the potential future pup you may have and the breeding that goes on that all to often is not of good quality and for good reasons.
What i would suggest is that you read some of the points that Mikey, Soundtrack and Bubbad make throughout the forum, not just this thread and use these points to make an educated decision on things you should take account of when looking for your puppy.
Personally i would not buy from this breeder however that is based on my judgement of what i have seen from the website and some of the answers that where left on this forum from them but it is totally up to you. I believe fimly on breeding for a reason, to better the breed in which case to me you breed to then put your animal infront of an unbiased judge, to breed for a purpose ie dogs with a job, however what is important to you, you will decide. Are you looking for a pet or something to work?
I understand that you feel that some of this has been an experience that you are not happy with however please see that there is not only a massive amount of experience and knowledge on this site, but also a massive amount of concern for the breed, and i hope that you do continue to use this site as a resource, as it really is a fantastic one.
Good luck in your search
Victoria and Henry
ps. If your looking for a pet basset have you considered one of the basset rescues? They have some fantastic dogs

·
Registered
282 Posts
When I originally posted, I was looking for honest opinions, without drama and insults. That's what I got...until today. I guess this message board is like all the rest of the Internet boards. I have to say I'm disappointed. I was hoping to use this board as a resource once I got a new puppy, since it's been so long since I went through all the puppy goodness.

My unsolicited opinion: all of this attacking and drama (without constructive feedback) discourages people who just come here looking for good information. It's not a good way to get your message across.
I love Basset Hounds. I love everything about the breed. However, I knew that I had no interest in showing a dog and would only do field trials if I thought the dog would have fun. I completely respect the improvement of the breed, and the proper breeders who do that.

I haven't read a good chunk of this thread, but I will say this Sleepy. Basset Hounds are wonderful dogs. If you aren't interested in showing or field trials or competitions in general, have you thought about rescuing? There are tons of Basset Hounds that need good homes. I adopted two from my local shelters. If you really want a puppy, get the word out! I adopted Lucy, who was 3 at the time. Lucy really needed a friend, but didn't get along well with older dogs. Her trainer suggested a puppy. So, I started looking for a puppy. I called all the local shelters and the nearby Basset rescues and told them my situation. They called me the moment Millie was available.

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
I love Basset Hounds. I love everything about the breed. However, I knew that I had no interest in showing a dog and would only do field trials if I thought the dog would have fun. I completely respect the improvement of the breed, and the proper breeders who do that.

I haven't read a good chunk of this thread, but I will say this Sleepy. Basset Hounds are wonderful dogs. If you aren't interested in showing or field trials or competitions in general, have you thought about rescuing? There are tons of Basset Hounds that need good homes. I adopted two from my local shelters. If you really want a puppy, get the word out! I adopted Lucy, who was 3 at the time. Lucy really needed a friend, but didn't get along well with older dogs. Her trainer suggested a puppy. So, I started looking for a puppy. I called all the local shelters and the nearby Basset rescues and told them my situation. They called me the moment Millie was available.
With all due respect, and not to denigrate rescues (heck, I was involved in rescue long before it became the popular thing to do), I really have a hard time understanding the attitude that if a dog is "just" a pet it doesn't really matter where it comes from. Being a family pet is an extremely important function, requiring a dog of good health, proper temperament and sound structure. It is also important that the dog grow up to look and act as expected for it's breed (otherwise why bother to choose a purebred at all? You choose a particular breed because you want certain characteristics). For the best odds of ending up with such a dog you would go to a breeder who is actually selecting for these traits.

·
Registered
282 Posts
With all due respect, and not to denigrate rescues (heck, I was involved in rescue long before it became the popular thing to do), I really have a hard time understanding the attitude that if a dog is "just" a pet it doesn't really matter where it comes from. Being a family pet is an extremely important function, requiring a dog of good health, proper temperament and sound structure. It is also important that the dog grow up to look and act as expected for it's breed (otherwise why bother to choose a purebred at all? You choose a particular breed because you want certain characteristics). For the best odds of ending up with such a dog you would go to a breeder who is actually selecting for these traits.
I agree being a part of a family and a companion, is an extremely important job for a dog. It does require good health, proper temperament and sound structure. My personal experiences is that I was able to still find a dog at a shelter who had these qualities. I don't think that is necessarily the case for every dog, but then again, some dogs are treated so inhumanly that they learn improper behaviors for self preservation.

I completely respect reputable breeders who's goal is the improvement of the breed. I think it is also a matter of preference. I wanted to give a basset without a home a second chance. As any with any reputable breeder and rescues, you work to find the best home possible for these wonderful animals. Yet, sometimes we are disappointed in the homes we choose. That's why it is so important that other individuals are able to take these dogs in and find them new homes. It is very rare, in my opinion, that it is the dog's fault it was abandoned.

Believe me, I don't mean this as a breeder vs rescue argument. I believe both have wonderful merits! So, I hope it doesn't sound like I was being argumentative or defensive, because I completely understand your points, Soundtrack. :) Sometimes, its hard to convey tone... :)

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
No offense taken, I agree that you can find a wonderful pet from a shelter or rescue (I've had rescues and mixed breeds in the past and they were great dogs). It's just that far too often people think they shouldn't go to a show breeder because they "only want a pet".

·
Registered
282 Posts
No offense taken, I agree that you can find a wonderful pet from a shelter or rescue (I've had rescues and mixed breeds in the past and they were great dogs). It's just that far too often people think they shouldn't go to a show breeder because they "only want a pet".
I can completely understand that frustration. Also, "being a pet" is an important job of a dog. I think to say "well, I just want a pet" is undervaluing the role of the dog in your family. Then again, I prefer my dogs to most people I meet, so maybe I'm bias!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
3. what health gurantees do you give. Is the genetic problem have a time limit as many if not most do not show up for 5 -10 years. Are you willing to help pay for or bear the entire cost for treatment of a probelm that is genetic in origin
You ask serious ??s and we are taking your ??s seriously. we do have better things to do than taking the time to post to a ?? like this, but we do it to try to help you and the others on this forum. They are our opinions, so no one is saying you have to agree with them. Some opinions come from a lot of experience, like Mikey's, so they are highly valued here.

From my experience, I would never buy a puppy from a place that had the Health Guarantee of this kennel that you asked about. that is because i already did it & it turned out very badly. I do wish I had gotten on this forum before getting Worm & had learned about the nuances of guarantees beforehand; so it actually is good that you are getting this perspective before getting a puppy IMHO.

"Once your pup leaves our kennel, we are not responsible for minor things such as parasites, worms, Giardia, and Coccidia or other minor conditions such as bladder infections, which can easily be resolved with simple medication."
--OK that is ridiculous. Have you seen the recent threads here on puppies with Giardia? They can be quite sick. This is saying that if you take your puppy home & it is having severe bloody diarrhea (which you can have with Giardia), and maybe it's had it for some time because the breeder didn't pick up on the puppy being ill, and is anemic and dehydrated as a result, and needs veterinary care, IV fluids, & hospitalization, the breeder will NOT be responsible for this and will not pay for it. As we well know here, bloody diarrhea in an 8 week old is quite serious. The breeder is absolving herself of all responsibility here.

In the same paragraph, it says:
"If the veterinarian finds that the puppy has a life threatening condition that makes it a health risk, you have the option of returning the dog immediately and there must again be a written statement and the test results documentation from your veterinarian mailed to us as proof of the condition and we we will replace the puppy with another one that is available. If no puppies are available in the current litter, you may be put on the list for the next planned litter and that pup will be shipped to you free of shipping costs or you may have a 75% refund on the pup within two months of the mailed statement by your vet. Corkey Kennels is NOT responsible for any decisions made by your vet or for any vet bills which you decide to spend anytime after purchasing your pup."

This kennel clearly does not want to take responsibility; if it did, the Health Guarantee would read differently. Let me tell you all the problems w/this:
--I had been planning for Worm to come home for 6 weeks before I got him, pictures in all, in frequent contact w/the breeder
--First night home, he is not breathing right. Breeder was trying to argue w/me about this? don't insult me, I have had dogs & puppies before, they don't breathe like this. took him to the vet. he is ill, ill, ill. breeder tried to argue with the vet (& the xray), as the vet told me the breeder should be responsible for this. Breeder had given me the dog less than 6 hours ago.

Breeder tells me they do not like vets nor do they use them. She actually should have refunded part of his cost or helped to pay for part of the bill, but of course she did not, and i had more important things to do, like take care of this ill pup, than to fight with her about this. Fortunately, after paying ~$650 for Worm, i was in a position to also pay the $500 vet bill, it is not a lot of skin off my back. but i hope you are paying attention here, as it is financially risky to go with something like this, again IMHO.

If Worm came from this kennel, the same thing would have happened. This breeder would not pay, & would not accept responsibility nor financial responsibility. It says so in the agreement. Our breeder wanted the puppy back too-- SERIOUSLY?? (and Corkey Kennels, I hope you are paying attention to these gripes). A young puppy sitting in respiratory isolation in the hospital, in respiratory distress; breeder has told me they don't believe in vet care & she would take care of it with vitamin c or something insane like that; plus the breeder was in denial that the puppy is sick & the breeder allowed him to get this sick without even recognizing it; Worm would have died if i gave him back. Giving a sick puppy back is not an option if you have the puppy's best interest in mind; also because you wonder how the sick puppy came to be so sick in the first place (in the 'care' of the breeder). Not only that but if you give the puppy back & you don't have another one, they Corkey is saying you must wait until their next litter, instead of just getting your money back. Ridiculous. nor do they refund you 100%, which certainly should be an option.

Buyer beware. This Health Guarantee does not protect you (the consumer) one bit.

This is the way I look at it: my wiener dog puppy came from a loving home. He was raised with love and a lot of attention; if he was sick, his breeders would have known about it, treated the condition, and not given him to us until he is well.

If breeders are paying close enough attention to their puppies, they would also know if they were sick with Giardia, worms, pneumonia & they wouldn't give them away in that sort of state. So if they were really confident, they would guarantee the puppies' health & take responsibility. The "Health Guarantees" here , allow breeders to have no idea what's going on with their puppies, sell them to people, then take no responsibility afterwards.

How could this happen, you ask, that a breeder doesn't know the health of its puppies? Here is one way:

There were 4 puppies in this wiener dog litter, so the breeder was on top of all the puppies. In comparison, the breeder who bred Worm had ~40 puppies in 2 months (4 litters). She denied being a 'puppy mill,' she is a breeder who is in love with the breed too. and i do believe she probably does love them. to be honest, seeing the car she was driving in told me she is not making that much $$ off the puppies. it also meant that I am fairly sure she could not afford Worm's vet bills either. when I got Worm, there were ~14 puppies & 6 or so adults that she was caring for. so yes, she missed that Worm was sick, because she was taking care of so many dogs. 14 puppies sitting altogether all day-- if you found vomit, diarrhea, you wouldn't even know who did what, or which puppy is sick with what. not to mention that the other puppies probably lick the evidence away, so you may not even know.

My challenge to Corkey Kennels-- because I would give you the benefit of the doubt from what you wrote-- is that if you are really confident about the health of your pups, the Health Guarantee should be changed to reflect that, and you should take more responsibility for them than you are currently doing. We have breeders on this forum who take WAY more responsibility for their puppies than what it says on your website.

If you still choose to go ahead, Sleepy, feel free. but i wouldn't & my story above tells you why.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Just because a dog is a rescue, doesn't mean you can't judge its temperament, health, etc. Arguably you have an even better chance of judging the temperament of a rescue since they are already grown up. What you see is what you get. Even more so the case if they've been in a foster home that's observed their behavior over any significant amount of time. Likewise many long term health issues have already shown up and been detected, unlike the guess work of a puppy.

You know the history of a well bred puppy but you have no idea what its individual problems will end up being as a grown dog. You can make an educated guess but you don't *know*. You don't know the history of a rescue (actually that's not always the case), but you do know what they are like as an adult already.

·
Registered
973 Posts

In comparison to other internet forums I haven't seen any attacks here.

We were asked for our opinions and we gave them.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
but you do know what they are like as an adult already.
within reasonable limits if commong from a breed rescue and the dog is housed in a foster home that is most often the case but there can be individual situation that the dog mugh be expsoes to in a permentent home that was not the casein a foster home that are problematic for the dogs.

But the shelter situation is not general a good one for dogs well being and as such the tempermenttesting done is going to be flawed. many claim that the very nature of the shelter tend to make dogs act more aggressively than they normally would and the use of artificial limbs and unatural movements are not going to act as they normal would. While most of the time this would be a dog acting agressivcely when it normal would not on rare occassion it can have the opposite effect as well.

It is why i prefer when aquiring a dog that it be raised in an enviroment as close to as posible as the enviroment I will be keeping it.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts

Sleepy – please don’t construe the comments on this board as attacking, the peps on this board are just very passionate about their fur babies, the bread and all animals in general. And if they/we run across someone that does not have the “best” interest of the animal as a first priority – it kinda gets our panties in an uproar if you know what I mean. I’m sure no one on here meant to say anything to you other than give you their opinion and answer your question as best they could with their own experiences.

I’ve read all the replies on this topic and it seems they have all been backed up with links to where they got the information – or detail explanation such as “Worm”. Regarding the comments of her website – I’m sorry, as a webmaster – I look at websites and an electronic business card and the first option that someone has most of the time of a company. So if she has one thing posted on her site – but in fact does something different – then she should correct this site to match her policies with her dogs.

I hope you don’t check this site off your list as a resource and you’ll find it invaluable should you end up with a basset hound pup.

Good luck in your search…

Jen~

·
Registered
633 Posts
Just because a dog is a rescue, doesn't mean you can't judge its temperament, health, etc. Arguably you have an even better chance of judging the temperament of a rescue since they are already grown up. What you see is what you get. Even more so the case if they've been in a foster home that's observed their behavior over any significant amount of time. Likewise many long term health issues have already shown up and been detected, unlike the guess work of a puppy.

You know the history of a well bred puppy but you have no idea what its individual problems will end up being as a grown dog. You can make an educated guess but you don't *know*. You don't know the history of a rescue (actually that's not always the case), but you do know what they are like as an adult already.
^^^I totally agree I rescued a chihuahua last year from a horribla backyard breeder where she was practically starved to death,. She stayed at a shelter a few months while she recovered. They were able to tell me if she was good with kids other dogs what kind of temperment she had. She is a wonderful little dog very healthy a bit shy around strangers but thats a chihuahua trait and she was aboused. I think getting a puppy is a bigger risk especially when temperment is so imprtant in a family pet. When they are older you can see there temperment more. I would have rather rescued a basset but my son had never had a puppy and my husband really wanted a puppy too.
I feel like maybe the poster got upset because it seemed like if you did not go through a show breeder it was not good enough. If you have not been ew to a forum sometimes elitist type comments can be taken personally. Sorry if it sounds rude but not everyone can buy from a show breeder and to me that does not mean you won't get a good dog. I mean no offense I know certain subjects I have alot of knowledge about I can make comments like that especially somethig I am passionate against which I think is great. I also think it is good you gave your professional opinion on this breeder. I did not go through the internet I went to the breeders so I could see the parents and feedback from previous people who have bought from past litter. I would be glad to get steered the right way in choosing an online kennel.Obviously a breeder who does not get her dogs vet care especially when you are breeding is someone to totally stay away.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Do you know what ,"Breeding for the betterment of the Breed" means? It means the offspring should be better specimens than the parents in every way possible. Esa was checked for certain genitic problems before breeding her ,the stud I chose is a Champion,which isn't what should be impressive, but the fact that I don't advertise my puppies from"champion lines,my puppies are Champion sired,there is a difference , what is impressive is to what expence and what you go through to get that title on a dog. That these two dogs should be able to produce healthy ,showable puppies if desired,but quality to be great pets as well.Most if not all of my puppies are as good or better quality than the parents.Some will be shown,some are pets and I didn't ask near the money this lady does but I feel I asked a fair price for my puppies.I do plan to breed again but not till next year.I don't have breeding pairs some bigger kennels do and I don't fault them for that if they are trying to get titles on their dogs whatever they are,but if all you are doing is breeding these dogs time after time then that leaves you open to people's opinions you don't like.

21 - 40 of 107 Posts