Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this board for a while, and finally decided to register and post today. There is so much excellent information here!

I lost my basset hound to cancer several months ago, and have decided to start looking for a new puppy. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about Corkey Kennels in Virginia.

Thanks for any information you can provide!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
corkey Kennels

for me there is a number of red flag

1. price listed on web site

2.no indication they are getting indipendant varifiaction of there breeding program by eithier show the dogs in conformation/field trials or both.

3. their contract sucks it is a clear indication they do not take responsibility for life the puppies the produce.

If it were me I would stay far far away from this breader. I highly suggest you do a search of this site on "reputable breeder" and you will get of opininion on what constitutes a reputible breeder there is not going to be 100$ agreement, so in the end what matters is if you are confortable with the breed and what they are doing. By doing the search you will find out why independant verification of a breeding program is important. genetic testing vs pedigree analysis vs hope and pray on preventing/minimizing genetic problems. etc. The responsibility a breed should take for a puppy he produces etc.

There is not much to recommend this breed other than the dogs are cheap but as the say you general get what you pay for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your response. I had similar concerns after looking through their website, and was curious if anyone else thought the same thing. I'm already in touch with other breeders who I know are reputable, but someone mentioned Corkey to me also so I checked out their website.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
No one is going to agree where the dividing line does a breeder need to do every possible genetic test is pedigree analysis enough. Thing like this are not black and white for some conditions pedigree analysis is superior but not all. and there are thousand of similar examples in the end you have to go with your hear and your internal moral code what is important to you in a breeder and not really worry what others may think of your choice.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
It is interesting and I like some of the European lines but I think some of these people are over doing it.They say how clumsey some of the dogs are and think that's cute.The standard says they are to be in no way clumsey. They are going to cripple these dogs some sites brag of their males being over 100lbs. Bassets were not ment to be over 100lbs.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Been meaning to ask this for awhile, esp since we've had Bubbad's puppies here recently.

When we got Worm, he was described personality-wise as "he will be whatever you want him to be," which was a strange way of describing a dog, we thought. He was already 4 months old, so some of his personality would have been showing. any thoughts as to what this is referring to???

(we took it to mean he was more submissive to the others, or that he was pushed around a lot...)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
To be perectly honest with you that describes just about any puppies temperment except an extemely shy one. Puppy temeperament is a total crap shoot, Study after study point out the unreliability of such tests.

"he will be whatever you want him to be,"

that sound like a perfect line for a physic. It can never be wrong. It convey no real meaning, sound like a good thing but any real meaning is how the person hearing it interprets it. It is a winner in marketing.

FWIW I would not interpret it the way you have but more along the lines that the dog has an even moderate temperment. Not push nor shy/subdued not a push over nor a bully you get the idea. But I guess for every person in the world there willbe a different interpretation, that what makes it marketing masterpiece.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
some sites brag of their males being over 100lbs. Bassets were not ment to be over 100lbs.
if you feed one enouch you can create a 100 lb chiuahua not going to be healthy though. IMHO thatthe biggest harm done to a breed are by those that have not love of the breed but are in it for the money and play up the characture of the breed. You get dog that are exagerates of certain characteristics of the breed, in general their bad traits. It does serious harm to the breed and outsider perception of the breed.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
if you feed one enouch you can create a 100 lb chiuahua not going to be healthy though. IMHO thatthe biggest harm done to a breed are by those that have not love of the breed but are in it for the money and play up the characture of the breed. You get dog that are exagerates of certain characteristics of the breed, in general their bad traits. It does serious harm to the breed and outsider perception of the breed.
Show breeders are frequently accused of this, but I find it occurs much more with commercial pet breeders such as this. When show breeders talk about a dog they tend to talk about structural things like shoulder layback, spring of ribs, length of sternum, movement etc with less mention of pretty head, expression, ear set and such. Whereas pet breeders love to emphasize massive feet, ultra short legs, super long ears, droopy eyes, lots of wrinkles etc. Good breeders know that these features are faulty when excessive.

I personally like a substantial basset, that's why my last two litters were sired by European dogs. But even for European stock many of the dogs on that site look very overdone to me.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I have handled my puppies many times a day since the day they were born and when their personalities started to show I noticed how they handled new things . None were shy or fearful but curious.A curious puppy is usually a confident puppy,one, that instead of running from some strange sound or something it sees,stands still and faces it and if nothing happens goes toward it. I think I was able to nuture that in them. To say ,"He will be what you want him to be",is a cover all statement.All of my puppies temperaments are very mild.They don't become overly excited because I am never that way with them,everything is calm,no one has to spin circles for attention because they each get individual attention from me. I sat and held each puppy from the time they were born ,kissed the little faces ,rubbed their little pink bellies.I was laid up, most breeders don't have as much time with a litter as I had with this litter, they have everyday things that need done,I had nothing to do except hold these puppies. I have realized that this litter responded to everything I did with them.Now at 3 months of age, they still get in my lap for a belly rub,they will turn themselves belly up in my lap. The people that have my puppies can either continue to encourage these little minds in a good direction or they can mess up everything I've instilled in them.I believe the biggest influence on temperament happens long before he goes home with anyone,if he is allowed to be nasty and aggressive in the formative weeks(3-6 weeks)these tendencies will be there. Genitics plays a huge part in temperament,you can't get away from that."He will be what you want him to be," sounds like passing the buck ,he is what they made him to be.

·
Registered
973 Posts
The corkey site looks like a puppy mill to me, or at the very least someone irresponsible. The gigantic "SEND PAYMENT HERE" makes the main intention incredibly clear.

The one that Mikey linked shows several best in show pictures, that is pretty impressive. I can't imagine bassets get that very often (I always see it go to poodles and the like)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Plus the website is poorly put together, not at all professional.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
The one that Mikey linked shows several best in show pictures, that is pretty impressive. I can't imagine bassets get that very often
owner of topsfield bumper cars topwinning basset of all time and breeder/co-owner of silver noodles top winning basset bitch all time. Also not all the breeding tool kits etc vluadia has be in charge of the learning/teaching arm of the BHCA for a log time. her Basset University has become a model for a lot of other breed clubs as well.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Thanks for da reply about da funny phrase. i told my person she should be happy to get me. none of this i'll be what you want me to be kinda cr*p. oops, i thinks i mighta cussed.

bubba, that was nice of you to hold your puppies all the time. not me, tho. there was a camera and we were always just by ourselves, me and 14 other puppies outside in a concrete area (that's why being on concrete makes me wanna pee/poo-- just as Mikey T, i believe it's called 'substraight perference.' see i do pay attention to you Mr. Mikey) just playin, playin. but not too much hangin' out with humanz much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am writing to let everyone know that Corkey Kennels is a very reputable kennel and not a puppy mill at all. I have been to the kennels three times and have seen the breeding stock and the facilities, which are lovely and clean, with the bassets very well cared for by the owner. I have two bassets from the kennel -- Honoria (4 1/2 years old) and Winchester (2 years old) and both are wonderful, healthy, fabulous dogs. They each weigh about 60 lbs, even though Winchester is half out of the European stock (dam is Yoko). I have seen several dogs around town out of other kennels that others on this post recommend and I can say that they were no where near the specimens that mine are -- or the other Corkey pups and adult dogs I have met through the years. Hence, I whole-heartedly recommend Corkey kennels to anyone.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I don't know if was just me but many of the adults looked overweight. Maybe that is how some bassets look but theuy did not have much definition in their midsection at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I am Nan Corkey from Corkey kennels, the kennel some of you seem to have problems with. I just want to say, that the ones who have concerns about me, have never spoken with me, never dealt with me, have never visited our home where our dogs live and have made judgement just by looking at a site built totally by me, not a professional. Some of you have compared me with top show kennels. I am a stay at home mom, who has worked very hard raising 5 children along with home schooling them through every grade from preschool on up to 12th grade along with helping them in college and I know the value of hard work and integrity it takes to raise good kids and sound dogs. Along with raising kids, I have raised bassets on the side because I am so addicted to them and yes, for an extra income as well. But I have, over 18 yrs, researched and purchased some of the best lines I found to be great examples of the breed. I am not breeding just any old line to get just any old pup. The Euros especially have won my heart and none of my hounds weigh 100 lbs or over. If my dogs appear a little over weight, which they are not, then great, they are well fed and not neglected. I do not show because I have Multiple Sclerosis. But because I do not show, that should not turn me into a puppy mill, or someone very irresponsible. I am not permanently in a wheel chair, but I have been off and on, I have to use a cane now and then, and everyday is hard on me physically. I am not well enough to run a puppy mill even if I wanted too! I only have 9 breeding dogs and I work closely with 3 different vets. Of course I ask for payments from people who buy my pups, who doesn't? No one breeds for free. It's also not a lucrative business either as we hardly make any money because it all goes back into the dogs for vet bills, medications, vaccines, building maintenance, dog food and other things that breeding requires. But it keeps me happy, busy, and it is my form of therapy because I can't do much of anything else. If you have any concerns, please come and visit me before posting them on a public forum.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts