Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Copper has been limping slightly on his left rear leg since we got him at 6 weeks. I have taken him to the vet and could get no clear answers to the problem. We have x-rays but I still got no answers. Needless to say I took him to a different vet yesterday and when he looked at the x-rays he said it was hip dysplasia. I was devastated but he told me that sugery was always an option if the pain became unbearable.He doesn't seem to be in much pain now, there are some days that seem to be a little stiffer than usual but the surgery seems so drastic. I would of course get some other opions before I would consider surgery but I hate to think of him in pain also. Sorry that this is so long but this was upsetting news and I needed to vent to people would understand.

thanks

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
My German Shepherd girl has dysplasia. I have her on Rimadyl, which has proven to be a miracle drug for her.

The vet also suggested I give her glucosamine chondroitin, but not to buy the foods and treats with it in them, as the amount of glu/chon in them is negligible. The latest research, according to the newspapers, apparently found that glucosamine chondroitin has no denefit for mild arthritis but appears to have some benefits for severe (maybe Betsy or someone more scientifical than me could interpret?), which means it would probably be worthless for your puppy and little more than a waste of money.

I also give her flaxseed oil, as it is helpful for arthritis. Now, the flaxseed oil does seem to have some kind of positive effect. I don't give it regularly because I forget (!), but when I do remember to give it for a few days in a row, I see a distinct difference in her mobility and happiness.

Also make sure it's dysplasia. Might be worth a second opinion before you opt for meds.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Did the Vet show you the head of the femur and how it should fit into the hip socket? Just curious. I have a foster named Rocky and although he doesn't actually limp he moves "funny" at the rear and I have suspected Dysplaysia since I got him in September.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Did the Vet show you the head of the femur and how it should fit into the hip socket? Just curious. I have a foster named Rocky and although he doesn't actually limp he moves "funny" at the rear and I have suspected Dysplaysia since I got him in September.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The second vet did show me the x-ray and I could see that the femur didn't fit into the hip socket. I could see the difference between the left and right hips on the x-ray. When I first thought there was a problem it was because Copper has a little skip in his gait. H e doesn't always limp but he has a "funny" walk with that leg too.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Basset have natoriously bad hips but generally because of the large bone size and short legs which put less torque on the joint than the taller dogs normally asociated with HD.

orthopeadic problems of the rear basset are known to be prone to are HD, luxating petella, OCD which is often hard to diagnose because it does not show up on x-rays well. but I don't thing it would manifest itself as early as six weeks.

How old is copper? if under 20 week old there is a new procedure Juvenile Pubic Symphysiodesis than can change the fit that is much less invasive and painfull than traditional surgery. If older and you are confident that HD is the cause of the limping it is imho better to do the surgery. between the ages of 5-18 months TRIPLE PELVIC OSTEOTOMY is very successful The surgery in the long haul will give the dog a much better qality of life. Man dogs are complete pain free after recover and those that aren't have less pain and less arthritis as they age.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts