Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago I posted on the forum about Copper's limp and dragging his back legs,I had taken him to a couple of vets, one had no answers and one recommended surgery. Over the weekend I took him to an orthepedic vet who also practices alternative treatment. He took new more extensive x-rays(Coppers last x-rays were when he was 8 months}and has determined that he does NOT have dysplaia. He says it is a back injury and that is why he drags his back legs sometimes.We have had him since 6 weeks and he had the limp when we got him.The doctor said it could have been something as simple as his mother stepping on him as a baby.

He seems to think we can fix this without surgery with V.O.M.{veterinary orthopedic manipulation} and Cold Laser Therapy.

Has anyone had any experience with these treatment? The only down side is this doctor is 200 miles away and Copper needs to see him 1 time a week for 6 weeks. If it gets rid of the pain it will be worth every mile. My son lives about an hour away so I will get to see him more often.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
go for it, that's only six short trips! like you said, if it works, it's worth it.
I don't know anything about these therapies, but I'm sure others will know. I hope it works out ok for Copper... :)

Sandy

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I've not heard of it- but it must be safer than surgery! Good luck and lots of drool-

T

·
0 Posts
Sounds like doggie chiropractic. I know chiropractic manipulation helps lots of humans. Why not doggies? I'd try it.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Low-energy lasers (also known as cold lasers) have been promoted as an effective way to produce analgesia and accelerate healing of a variety of clinical conditions.

By definition, low energy laser therapy uses irradiation intensities that induce minimal temperature elevation (not more than 0.1-0.5°C), if any. For practical purposes, this restricts treatment energies to a few J/cm² and laser powers to 50 mW or less.

Despite these constraints, a wide variety of types of lasers, treatment schedules, and techniques have been used. Consequently, apparently conflicting results from studies of low-intensity lasers may not be in conflict, and may represent fundamental, but poorly understood, differences in treatment approaches.

Although the results from large, uncontrolled, open trials of low-energy lasers in inducing wound healing have shown benefit, controlled trials have shown little or no benefit. The analgesic effects of low-energy lasers have been most intensely studied in rheumatoid arthritis. Recent well-designed, controlled studies have found no benefit from low energy lasers in relieving pain in rheumatoid arthritis or other musculoskeletal conditions. Furthermore, although positive effects were found in some earlier studies, it was not clear that the pain relief achieved was large enough to have either clinical significance or to replace conventional therapies.

Published systematic reviews of the evidence have concluded that there is a lack of adequate evidence of effectiveness of cold laser therapy for treatment of chronic wounds (e.g., Schneider and Hailey, 1999; Cullum et al, 2002; Flemming and Cullum, 2002; Samson, et al., 2004; Simon, et al., 2004; Wang, 2004), musculoskeletal disorders (de Bie et al, 1998; Abdulwadud, 2001; Ohio BWC, 2004; Wang, 2004), arthritis (Brosseau et al, 2002a; Brosseau et al., 2002b; Marks and de Palma, 1999; Puett and Griffin, 1994; Wang, 2004), tuberculosis (Vlassov, et al., 2002), tinnitus (Waddell & Canter, 2002), and pain (Crawford et al, 2002; Gross et al, 2002; van der Heijden et al, 2002; Binder, 2002; Crawford, 2002; Speed and Hazleman, 2002). Systematic evidence reviews have also concluded that low-energy laser therapy (e.g., Microlight 830, Microlight Corporation of America, Missouri City, TX) is ineffective in treating carpal tunnel syndrome (Gerritsen et al, 2002; O'Connor et al, 2003; Ohio BWC, 2004; Wang, 2004
Source

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
How is Copper doing? Has he started treatments yet?
Bogie sends lots of healing drool.

You don't own a Basset, a Basset owns you!!!
Aroooos from Bogie!

S

·
0 Posts
I would ask the vet for a name of an owner of an animal that had a problem similar to Copper's and talk to them. It sounds promising. Hope he does well. yvonne

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Copper has had two treatments and so far we are not seeing any improvement at all. He actually seem to be stiffer for a couple of days after the second one. I was really very hopeful at first but now I getting a little worried that it is not going to work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts