Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday morning I awoke to Cooter coughing/retching. He wasn't getting anything "up". Then he started to get "up" some mucus looking stuff. So, off to the vet we go. He didn't have a temp., and his lungs were clear. The vet said he had bronchitis, caused by a bacterial infection. He's on Prendisone and an antibiotic, twice a day for 10 days. He is sleeping alot, and drinking alot, but not coughing anymore. Give all your well hounds a kiss, and your sick hounds an extra big kiss!

A

·
0 Posts
Oh poor Cooter. Please get better soon. Wilson gets so sad reading about his cyber friends getting sick. Aaarooos, big hugs and drool from up north.

Susan and Wilson

·
Registered
335 Posts
Gosh, there seems to be a lot of it going around, I'm sorry to hear so many hounds are sick! Must be doggie flu season... :(

Hugs to all sick doggies and owners!
BarbR & Daisy Jayne

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I have to say this! I know I'm really sensitive to this right now, and I certainly don't want to panic anyone, BUT IF the cough comes back, OR he doesn't respond to the meds he is on, don't rule out Blasto. Duke was misdiagnosed with broncitis at first, then misdiagnosed two more times. He too, was coughing up phelgm at the beginning. If caught early, blasto is easy to treat. Duke was too far gone, so please just be aware. Watch for new cysts, sores, limping, coughing, lethargy, rapid weight loss (or gain).
Hope Cooter's feeling better soon, poor guy. We feel so helpless when they're sick, wish they could tell us where it hurts... :( keep us posted.

Sandy

·
Registered
775 Posts
Get well soon Cooter. We will be praying for your quick recovery!! I am sure you will get lots of extra loves while your sick

A

·
0 Posts
Gee....it sounds like what I've been dealing with for a month! I was afraid I'd give it to Ruby so I haven't been snuggling with her as much. I wonder if he caught it from a human or if it can be done.

Hope he's on the mend soon.

A

·
0 Posts
that's a good question. Can we give our houndies colds or flu? :( I think this year is worse for the dogs than last? (what's up)? sending drool to all the sick houndies. Happy to be a slave for Tummy Boy!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hope Cooter picks up soon. Good advice fron Sandy.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hugs & drool to you both. Hope Cooter is feeling well again soon.

A

·
0 Posts
From one St. Louis Basset to another, please feel better soon Cooter!!!

We will be thinking of you and sending you some good healing drool!

Take care and keep us posted!

Kathy

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you everyone for your well wishes. I've been keeping a good eye on him. He hasn't been coughing since starting the meds. But he's been sleeping alot, drinking alot, and eating more. The vet said that's normal. He did have 2 accidents in the house, I guess he'd had so much water, and just couldn't hold it anymore. I give him treats with each dose of meds, and I even gave him some more treats in the middle of the night. I got up to let him out to pee, and I could hear his belly growling! I know those steroids make you HUNGRY (I had to take some after being biten by a brown recluse last summer)!!! Thanks for the heads up on blasto, I'll watch him close.

[ March 20, 2006, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: lnrider ]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts