Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The birthday cake topic got me to thinking & searching...take a gander at this recipe.

Can you imagine what this would smell like to US while baking--I'm sure the dogs would love it....
Gack...I'm not even sure I could make it thru the preperation..... :eek:

Liver Brownies
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup wheat germ
1 lb liver
1 1/2 cup corn meal
3-4 eggs
2-3 cloves minced garlic

Add in the above order to the food processor and puree for about 4 minutes. Put in well-greased brownie pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

These could also be made using their canned food, add flour and garlic, mix and bake the same way.

http://www.all-natural-dog-treat.com/healt...at-recipes.html

A

·
0 Posts
Gack is right, this just reminds me of the bass-o-matic on Saturday Night Live.

Liver in a blender, I love my dog, but.......

Gack is right.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm not sure I love ANYTHING or ANYONE enough to do that...this reminds me, also, of those fiber tablet commercials that were on TV this winter--haven't seen them for awhile, they must have been counter-producting ads--with the guy putting OJ, liver and broccoli in the blender. Gotta go find some Tums and Diet 7up now.... :(

Actually, I did find some dog biscuit recipes that weren't half bad sounding; the ones I made didn't smell bad at all, just beefy. But this recipe will definitely NOT make the cut at my house...

I once gave Daisy a liver treat, anyway; she carefully spat it out and walked away after giving me a *very* disappointed look. :D That's pretty bad....

[ March 22, 2006, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: BarbR ]

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hi, I actually have baked this liver brownies several times before.
The smell....I hate it, but the hounds love it!

So I only baked it in summer time, when I can open my door widely! :)

A

·
0 Posts
It sounds horrid but I'd do it for the hounds. However ...what's with the garlic? I though it was bad for dogs. I've read different opinions over the years. What's the word now? Are we back to it being ok for them?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I bake for Sadie & Spencer often & they love everything I make. I made them spinach noodles one time, which they gobbled up. The smell, however, stayed in my house for days. Needless to say, they have not had spinach noodles again!

Faye, I put garlic in a lot of my dog bone recipes. As I understand it, it is ok in small amounts. I had a neighbor who gave her dog garlic pills regularly instead of the flea/tick prevention. The dog lived to be an old guy & never had a problem with fleas or ticks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Faye:
It sounds horrid but I'd do it for the hounds.  However ...what's with the garlic?  I though it was bad for dogs.  I've read different opinions over the years.  What's the word now?  Are we back to it being ok for them?
I don't know...didn't know it was an issue? Maybe a little is OK. :confused:

I did see one recipe that had 1/3 cup bacon grease in it; that one I skipped, I just can't believe bacon grease mixed in the food can be good for anyone, man or beast!

[ March 23, 2006, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: BarbR ]

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Amy, Lina & Faye, you are nice basset-moms! :)

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I tried liver in a blender. The veins and other connective tissue/fascia got caught around the blades and burned out the motor! That said, my dogs love liver brownies. :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never thought of the connective tissue and veins getting caught in the blender, that certainly would mess up the motor!

I did, however, in my searches, discover some doggie recipes that used liver baby food, like Gerber's. That might be the safest way to go if one decided to try this without burning up their food processor or blender. :D

I don't recall ever seeing liver baby food, but it's been a long time since I bought baby food--they may have changd the menu since I have shopped for it.

A

·
0 Posts
I used to make a "liver slurry" for my H.S. Biology students to use in an experiment about the effect of temperature on enzymes. I had to blend enough liver for 90 students. It was absolutely disgusting!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts