Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first Maizy had constipation last week. A little pumpkin and colace did the trick. Now Jake at first looked like he was showing some of the same symptoms, but instead started having huge blowouts of diarhhea, first orange and mucus (sorry to be so graphic here guys, but it is the nurse in me) then after about l8 hours turned dark brown, still liquid. Gave small amounts of rice and a teaspoon of hamburger, which he ate, still drinking, still runnning around. Vet suggested pepto bismol last night, this morning at ll still has runny dark stuff, every two hours (making sleep a luxury). I guess we will have to go see her, but any more suggestions on how to deal with this? He is well supervised when out so I don't think he ate anything.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
It being Friday I'd probably see the vet today so as to avoid an emergency clinic visit over the weekend. :( I generally give the gut a rest until vomiting or diarrhea stops so give subcutaneous fluids to prevent dehydration. My vet will give fluids at the hospital and then give me some to take home. Also keep amforal tablets on hand for diarrhea.

Hope Maizy, whoops I mean Jake, is soon back in the "pink" and if she were mine she'd be pink from the pepto bismol.

[ July 08, 2005, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well he is on flagyl for the "enormous amount of bacteria" in his poop--this not counting the normal amount! Did not think he was dehydrated so he came home. The most interesting part was that he walked in, sat down and just waited. The entire staff at the vet's office came to see Jake NOT whine and cry to get out of there!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts