Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My basset hound Utah constantly licks under his front legs, its like they itch or something. The vet says its allergies, but the spray and pills they gave me did nothing. This has been going on for years, but for some reason its worse now than ever and its also between his back legs now, but he can't lick there. So its thump, thump, thump constantly with his back leg to get at some itch he has. He likes it when I wash him with warm water and baby shampoo and then put powder on it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop the itching, the thumping is driving us mad at night?

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
more than likely in those areas a yeast infection.
see MALESSEZIA DERMATITIS
So what conditions lead to a yeast proliferation? An increase in skin oils (which often occurs in an allergic flare up) would be the most common situation. Sometimes there is an immune deficiency which allows the yeast proliferation. Some animals are battling seborrhea (excessive oil production of the skin) and thus are naturally predisposed to the yeast proliferation. Some animals are actually allergic to the yeasts themselves. The most important thing to realize is that yeast infections are not contagious but they tend to recur unless the underlying allergy, seborrhea, or whatever problem is controlled.

The following breeds are predisposed genetically to yeast infections: the West Highland White Terrier, Basset hound, Cocker spaniel, Silky terrier, Australian terrier, Maltese, Chihuahua, Poodle, Shetland sheepdog, Lhasa apso, and the dachshund.
In addition to allergies basset are prone to sheborrhea
which also can lead to a yeast infection. Shampoo therapy is often the first defense against seborrhea. In addition to the made for dogs antiseborrheic shampoos many have had success with "selsun blue".

Consulting with a vet that specializes in dermatology is often a good bet in such cases because there may be multiple cause and unravelling them all take specialized skills and expertise.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Skin conditions, including allergies can be frustrating and elusive, even to veterinarians so I agree with Mike that a consult with a veterinary dermatologist is a good place to start. The visit may be a little more expensive than an appointment with your vet but could very well provide answers sooner, rather than later.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Until you get to the root of the problem, Gold Bond medicated powder is very soothing and seems to help the itch. Good luck with your baby.

·
Registered
36 Posts
you might want to try some hydrocortisone cream, its an anti itch cream and its safe.

good luck,

Daisy's momma

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have one basset, 12 years old. He was scratching so badly when he was a "youngin". We changed his diet - no beef. Only chicken and rice or occassionally, lamb and rice. Even his "treats". Dog bones, etc - no beef. It cleared up immediately! I know this reply is late, but try it - it worked for us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts