Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Bernadette is now 6 months old, and having been to see the vet we are now considering our options re breeding or having her spayed.

I know it is very early for he to be bred, I understand she needs to be at least 2 years before breeding (correct me if I'm wrong!), so don't panic I'm not about to get her started now! She's yet to come into season anwyay.

I just wondered if anyone can give me more of an insight as to health benefits either way, and how her temperament could be affected either way.

If we should decide to breed I would of course research into a stud to ensure bloodline etc are clear, and ensure I can get enough time of work to help look after the pups once born.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Temperament should not be effected ether way. Health is simply this birthing is stressfull for the dog with the definite risk of death it is not huge but real. The question is why breed?. How is breeding helping the breed in general. What independent means are you using to evaluate the bitch as abreeding prospect? That said Breeding earlier then spaying is more healthy for a bitch than breeding latter in life.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mikey T, thank you for the links they are very useful. Will be sitting down with OH and going through these in detail so we can make the right choice for Bernadette.

I appreciate that there is the possibility of there bring complications during labour which could result in death, and this is obviously a very big concern and would have to certainly take this into account when making the decision.

Thank you for your help, very much appreciated :)

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Can I urge you to get in touch with whoever bred your bitch before you take this idea any further. Reputable breeders will usually put a Non-breeding endorsement on pet stock to protect not only the breed, but their own bloodlines and this being the case, this endorsement needs to be lifted (so the puppies can be officially registered with the Kennel Club where they are born) before the bitch is mated. At that time, if you haven't shown your bitch to confirm her quality, at least the original breeder can give you her opinion (all breeding stock should be of good quality, so they have something to give back to the breed) and help you choose a suitable stud dog, who won't be doubling up on the faults all dogs have :p

Everytime a bitch is in whelp, there is a high risk of things going wrong, and perhaps even more so with some lines of Bassets - some are not always free-whelping and may well end up needing a C.Section.

Temperament, which should be typical for the breed in any case, or the bitch shouldn't be mated, shouldn't be affected. And for me, if you want her to stay safe, I'd come down on spaying rather than getting into breeding her. Always. Fact is by no means do all bitches NEED to be mated/have puppies. And if she wasn't retained by her breeder that might indicate she is just a wonderful pet rather than destined for a show career/ breeding career later on.

You have loads of time to do your research (again with the help of her breeder) before getting into any of this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did not breed mine until she was 18 months old and it was her third heat cycle. I had her breeder lift her registration limit and give me full registration (we had an issue where the breeder falsely advertised full, but actually limited the registration) and bred her with a stud from a breeder friend who has bred champion bloodlines for over 30 years, and the stud is known for having healthy litters and has a DNA profile. Before mine bred, she was inspected by the vet and given the go-ahead. She is 15 days away from giving birth and has been getting weekly check-ups. If I could not have done it this way, I would not have bred her at all.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Just for clarification Purposes "and has a DNA profile." Dna profile does not indicate any genetic health testist. It is done for three/four reason.

1. Clearer proof of Pure Bred breeding going forward provide all the dogs in the lineage hav DNA profiles.

2. In potential mixed sire litters it can be used to determine parentage of the Individual puppies

3. AKC requires it for Frequently Used Sires 7 litters and up

4. AKC requires it for registration of any litter from parents born outside the US

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just for clarification Purposes "and has a DNA profile." Dna profile does not indicate any genetic health testist. It is done for three/four reason.

1. Clearer proof of Pure Bred breeding going forward provide all the dogs in the lineage hav DNA profiles.

2. In potential mixed sire litters it can be used to determine parentage of the Individual puppies

3. AKC requires it for Frequently Used Sires 7 litters and up

4. AKC requires it for registration of any litter from parents born outside the US
You're hammering home the "DNA profile" schooling on me.

I've got it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts