Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 16 month old Basset and am considering getting another one. Does anyone have any opinions about this. I do have another dog but she is an old lab and doesn't appreciate our hound as much as we do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bassets are like patatochips, you can't have just one. They are pack hounds and happiest when with their own kind. A companion will be good for your current basset.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,830 Posts
the issue that arise between two males general is in regard to potential mating. so two intact males of relatively same age size etc that have regular contact /proximity to Bitches in season are much more likely to develop same sex aggression than any other scenario if the two males do not fall in all the categories above same sex aggression is not likely . It can happen but so can opposite aggression.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Are there any issues with having two males or should I search for a female?

We started with two males and had no problems with them. If you decide to go for a female, obviously she'd have to be spayed, assuming your current male is entire. I had a friend with two litter brothers however, and they were a nightmare. The only time they'd be happy together was when out being exercised. Otherwise the moment one moved, the other one was up and at -em!! It didn't matter which moved first. But they were litter-brothers and both were equally dominent. Mine were almost a year apart in age. Things were different once we bought in our foundation bitch!!:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts