Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I’m considering getting a second basset, we have a 2 1/2 year old female who is spayed. I’m wondering if it’s recommended to get another female or a male?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Bassets are basically a pack animal and so 'should' get on, regardless of gender. However the best combination is usually male and female - the male will/should respect a bitch, but again if she was spayed early she may not 'see him off' if he gets silly, in quite the same way entire bitches will do. And it depends on whether the male is pushy or takes a no! I would just say that, again in general, once bitches fight, there is often no way back, unlike when 2 males fight. Bitches fight to survive, males to mate!! True.

I think you should, on balance, look for a nice mild male.

One is never enough!!! And from experience, neither is two............... :p

Can you go back to where you bought your bitch from ..... and take their advice, depending on what they might have available?

·
Registered
12,908 Posts
the personality of the individual dogs is always more important than any generalities about the personality traits/differences between the sexes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. We’re going to hold off on the 2nd dog for now, but will keep it in mind when the right time comes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts