Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
He finished 3rd at the BHCA National in the Open Dog "feel trial" with a 14 dog entry
Thank you, Mr. Mikey!! We had an awesome time at Basset Nationals and of course I made my person proud by getting 3rd place for dogs in Feel Trials. And special thanks to you too, as you are the one who told us about it and got us interested here on basset.net!

The day before we went for the Hunt Test but hardly anyone found bunnies. Only 2 teams out of 12. we did not find any, so couldn't pass the test. even the champions couldn't find any, so the conclusion was the there were not many bunnies there.

the next day we did Feel Trials and it wuz so hot and dry like the day before. it wuz quite miserable. fortunately i went earlier in the day. we were in an entirely different park and were able to bump bunnies quickly. i wuz surprised to get called back for 2nd series-- total of 4 dogs called back. the fields had burrs and other sharp stuff and i didn't want to walk on that stuff anymore. so i told my person i'm going back to the car but then she said 'hey you're up, it's time fer you to go again.' i became a stubborn basset and decided not to move! i just stood there and refused to move. finally, my person had to carry me to the middle of the field to the start line so I could do my 2nd series competition against the other basset, and also for the 4th series. my person said i wuz being pretty bad, and good thing the judges waited for us and didn't dock me for not wanting to walk in the fields. well what can i say, i must be more of a city boy.

anyway, it has been kewl. will post a pic when i get a chance. oh, I think Mr. Mikey already posted one! Mrs. Soundtrack's dog Artemis got a placement in champions. and 2nd place in my class went to Hawk who is a Tailgate basset. they are esp known for having good noses and beeing good at feel trials. I has a coupla pals who r Tailgate bassets.

well at Basset Nationals, I learned that I'm not a showdog (well, that would be stating the obvious). but I did learn I'm what is considered a "performance" dog, as I competes in Feel Trials, agility and wuz also entered into Rally. i did not do as well in Agility or Rally cuz I didn't listen to my person. I preferred to do my own thing instead. but it wuz still fun, esp meeting and hanging with the other performance bassets :)

--Worm

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Thanks Mr. Mikey!

I tried hard to look like a proper showdog (so many of them are showdogs) and finally was able to get one where my tail wuz up. in the past, my tail has always sagged down.

I had to get a baff so I could smell and look good for pictures. After 2 days in the hot and dusty feelds. so my person said. i said, 'whatever,' i think i smell fine.

i also got to be showdog for a day, got to go into the showdog ring and go up on the ramp and get examined by 3 judges. getting ready for that wuz not so fun. had to wake up 5am and get my teef brushed, nails dremeled, ears and face washed, stuff like that. eck. then i got to run around the ring.

i passed my Conformation Certificate. that's something you can get if you can't actually show in Conformation. we were happy about that.

--Worm

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Wow! Congrats on the placement and the CC! Are you going for a versatility certificate?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Wow! Congrats on the placement and the CC! Are you going for a versatility certificate?
Thank you!

Yes we will try for it, I think. I have a few Feel Trial points now. And we tried AKC Agility for the first time at Nationals. I ran around and around in large circles! no points for that it turns out :rolleyes: up till now we had been competing in CPE, which is easier. well, plus i'm still learning the teeter, but my person says I'm finally on the right track. but we will keep doing agility.

I'm gonna try some Rally too-- i failed my first Rally test at Nationals. i think the judge liked me, but she said we lost too many points. plus i wouldn't sit... twice. well, i wuz so bizzy sniffing the ballroom carpet floor. it smelled real nice and interesting. could smell all the girl dogs in heat who'd sat there, and that smelled nice!

--Worm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts