Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Im a long time lurker and first time poster

First i have a beautiful 2 and a half year old basset. He's a great dog although I am concerned about him as of late. Last week he actually growled at me when I tried to get him off the couch, never seen him do this as he has always been a complete suck up. Anyone have any suggestions? Im thinking of a straight up ban from being up on furniture. So far it has happened twice.

His world has kinda been turned upside down as of late due to a divorce and I think this could have something to do with it as hes with me at my mothers house with two very old and grumpy beagles but its been 4 months and this just started. Anyway im just slightly concerned and would love some advice!

Away from that! He is an odd basset hound does not bark howl or anything quiet as a mouse and loves his veggies and wreaking havoc on my friends garden! He is fond of long walks and playing flat asset in the middle of the road, my lord it can be hard to move a 50 pound hound when hes had enough lol.

Here are few puppy pics of my little bud

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1046...mp;id=510399247

·
Registered
191 Posts
My boy Benson is a growler and a nipper. You are right, it sounds strange because they always seem very mellow. I hate to say this but, after he did it a few times as a young man of 2 or 3 years old, I just stopped trying to move him. He can be very scary and I do not want to get bit. I know I am not doing the right thing, because... afterall... he is a dog and I should be in charge... but again... as everyone knows, Bassets are big dogs sooo. I would like advice on this too if anyone knows how to handle this type of behavior. There are really only 2 situations when mine will growl.. If i try to move him or make him get down and equally as bad if I try to push him back from the front door if someone knocks or if he sees something or someone out front and he wants to get out.. if I take my leg and nudge him back... he will flip out. He is 9 years old now and I prob cant change anything but any advice will be helpful.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Anyone have any suggestions? Im thinking of a straight up ban from being up on furniture. So far it has happened twice.[/b]
Avoiding the situation is a valid responce but once a dog is allowed on the furniture what is the likelihood he will not get on it when you are gone? and you will still need to be able to move him.

I am going to be making some assuption based on pases experience that may or may not be appropiate for this specific case so keep that in mind.

1. It is important to keep what growing really is in doggy lanquage. It is a akin to yelling "hey stop that" on an aggressive scale it is pretty low.

2. Many if not most of the time growling is an appropirate response by the dog. Those that say dogs should never growl are living in a dream work. Like saying shouting is never appropriate either.

3. Lets say you had a boss and every time he wanted you to do something rather than tell you and explain what he wanted done He grab you by the collar an physical manipulated you. Depending on your temperment is could be instantly or a couple a year but eventually you would get tired of this and tell the guy to knock it off.

4 "let sleeping dogs lie" It is only natural for any creature to defend itself when threatened. All animals are most vulnerable when sleeping. So any out of the ordinary physical contact can easily be misinterpreted as a physical assualt. Learn to wake a dog bia non-physical means, ie smell, noise etc.

to avoid confrontation and bulling simply teach the dog "Off"

The Off Command in Dog Training

the video only gets you less tha a 1/3 of the way there. You don't always have food available so you need to fade the lure This should be done sooner rather than later. after doing the exercise 3-5 times in a row try it without first showing the dog the food but using the hand arm motion only. If the dog complys give him an extra large reward multiple treats fed one at a time . You want to train to be planned That is having your treats ready and your self focused on training not simply using food to lure the dog every time you need to move him. Training is best done is short burst with a high rate of reward. If you can get the dog to "off" ten time is a minute great.

For some dogs it will take a very special treat to get then to move from aconfortable spot. To be able to do this without using a lure is more difficult but can be accoplished if you remember these few ideas.

train in session, This way the dog develops an understanding of the desired behavior and will be more willing to offer it at a faster pace and more understanding as the sesion goes on.

A high rate of reward coupled with sesions of short duration. There is nothing wrong with ten reward in a minute.

do not ask more of the dog than he is capable. Don't expect to be able to move to the next step until the dog is greater than 80% successful at the level you are training. Keep record.

On trick for getting a dog to give up a high reward oblect for a low reward one is built on expectation. If the dog knows most of the time he is asked to get off he gets a reward pluss doesn't lose his cherished spot on the couch he is more willing going to give ip his seat when you want him to even if occasional he does not get it back. It is why on going training is necesary to keep the behavior strong.

do have any specific questions?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts