Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:lol: Hello all,
I've been reading everyone's posts and looking at the great pictures. I must say that this site always puts a smile on my face. :)
Does anyone have any idea of what it's like to buy a second basset after owning one for 1 1/2 years. my dog is about 2 years old now and after
looking at all the pictures, I'd love to have my dog have a play mate, yet I am concerned that since he has been the sole object of worship and
adulation at my house :p , he'd be too jealous and perhaps fight off the new darling. :eek:

Anyone have any experience with this?

TIA :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I got Stomps when Lightning was about 18 months old, because Lightning had terrible separation anxiety and was destroying my house. He loves having Stomps around and was almost instantly much less destructive. Both are neutered males, and Stomps was 3-5 years old when I got him. He was VERY isolated the first years of his life, so we did have some aggression problems, but from Stomps, not Lightning. I learned how to prevent that, and we've lived very harmoniously since then. Most people on this board will agree that two hounds are better than one, just be sure that both dogs have been properly socialized and neither would prefer to be an only dog. There are tons of tips on here about introducig a second dog, so look for that if you decide to go ahead with your plan.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I think the majority of basset LOVE having a houndie companion. YOu will too since they can play together and give you a little downtime. I started with 1 and now have 6 - they are so very, very addictive.

PLEASE consider a rescue rather than buying a dog. You can always foster a hound and if it clicks you can become a foster failure. We LOVE foster failures.

I don't know if you were planning on buying from a breeder or pet store - but please read the threat that is pinned at the top about buying pet store dogs.

HAVE FUN WITH YOUR SECOND BASSET!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts