Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're looking at getting a second dog soon, to help fill the house and keep little Jasmine company when we're away from home. My fiance likes the idea of getting another breed vice having only Bassets. So I thought I'd ask you guys with multiple dogs breeds, which other breeds you would recommend as a good companion for my fluffy-pup.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We have a Lab (known around this house as a "Blab" as she acts like a Basset) and she and Huck get along famously. Labs need lots of exercise as they are full of energy. They are always so happy too - I don't think Grace has ever had a non-happy day which is good I suppose. But sometimes I just ask her if she is ever grumpy (like me ;) ) as nobody should be THAT happy!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
We have a border collie and a blue heeler and both get along great with the bassets. The border collie is a little pyschotic and the heeler is a great companion!

A lot of people seem to get bulldogs with bassets and they seem to get along famously.

Whatever you get I'm sure that Jasmine will LOVE the company.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am currently on my second generation of Basset and golden retriever pals. Both are within a year apart in age. My older ones lived to be 12 and 13 respectively and now my guys are 2 and 3. The basset has learned to both swim in the bay and retrieve tennis balls...but she needs a head start. Never had a fight!! The retriever carries the basset leash for walks.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Do you mean the retriever holds your basset's leash as you walk? LOL

We had a mutt who was half pit bull and half who knows with George and they got along fine. Rosie was quite shy and submissive all her life, and let George be the boss, which he liked (of course) and that may have helped. I don't think two dogs who both want to be boss will get along no matter what their breed(s).

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
We have a Dachshund and a Basset. Tally, the Dachsie, is bossy (Moe can't get near her toys or treats) but otherwise she gets along wonderfully with Moe. Tally actually keeps Moe more active than he would otherwise be, because her energy level is through the roof. They are best buddies and look for each other every mornign before going outside (Tally sleeps with my daughter).

Terry

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have 2 bassets and a mutt. And my older basset Maggie(6) and Pixie(7) the mutt are a year apart and have never had any problems. And are a absolutely cute pair! But with that said, we got Mollie last summer(she will be a year the end of the month) and she and Maggie are very close too. I don't know how to explain it, but the two of them are closer than Pixe and Maggie ever were and I always thought they were perfect. They do the same things and kinda get each other a little better than Pixie does. So you might really consider getting a 2nd basset. But like I said, Maggie and Pixie are great together too. All three get a long really well and hardly ever get upset.

Getting a 2nd pet is a good call, I really think bassets need a furry sibling. I know before Mollie, if Pixie had to go to the vet or anything w/o Maggie. Maggie would just whine all day because she was so sad. Good luck with whatever you choose.

[ April 01, 2006, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Mollie and Maggie ]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the advice. I know Jasmine will love have another furry friend, as she's such a social butterfly. I will do some research on the different breeds, and will hopefully have a picture of my new happy pair within a couple of months.

·
Registered
335 Posts
We have a sheltie and they get along pretty well; the sheltie does not like us to know this, but I've caught them playing very well together numerous times. :D They don't snuggle up and sleep together (that I'm aware of!) but they do miss each other if one is out and the other is in, one's at the vet, or out for a walk.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We have a mini dachshund and she is the princess of the house. She and Molson get along very well and she keeps Molson a lot more active (he's lost 2 lbs since we first got her)Molson is much happier with her around as he was very lonely and depressed being an only child.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Valerie: That's so funny. U will have to start paying for dog walker pro. :D . Happy to be a slave for Tummy Boy.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We too have a black lab. After training a Basset, you would be able to train a lab in about 2 seconds!!!!!
The combo gets many smiles and gives us tons of laughs and happiness! THey are true companions to each other!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Our combo is a little crazy. Baby Bella the cat is Wilson's constant companion. Baby Bella literally hugs Wilson whenever he comes back from a car ride, walk etc. Her little life just isn't normal when Wilson gets to go out in the world and do things. Bella's world consists of our home only. She doesn't get to go our anywhere except to the vet's once per year.

She can always be found splayed on Wilson's head like a big furry hat, chewing (playing) with his ears until he throws her off and chases and chases her around the house. They have a great time together and then they both flop down on Wilson's dog bed to sleep. It really is very cute. I think both are really happy with the companionship.

Susan and Wilson

·
Registered
987 Posts
Regardless of breed, I would recommend considering getting the opposite gender. I have a bulldog, basset and golden retriever. All females. The retriever and the basset are the best of friends as are the bulldog and retriever. The bulldog and basset do not get along and I have had to break up fights on more than one occassion. I think this has more to do with individual personality than breed type. But, after much reading and discussion with other knowledgable folks, the next dog I bring home will be male that is for sure. No guarantee of anything but might lessen the chance of not getting along.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I forgot to mention in my other reply that we also have a rat and a snake. Our dogs LOVE the rat....not sure if it is because they secretly want to attack him or just don't realize that they are supposed to hunt him
:)
Just a suggestion :)
Jennifer

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Molson's Mommy, don't you find that other dogs look very strange with thier long legs? I'm so used to short-legged dogs anything else looks abnormal! :D

Terry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts