Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is going to be kinda of dum question but i am curious
what colors do bassets all come in? Is there different names for different type of tri-colors?

·
Registered
662 Posts
This site (the one that hosts this forum) has a LOT of different information: http://www.basset.net/core.html

-=-=-=-=-

BASSET COLOR: The tri-color is the most common, followed by the red & white. Tri's at times can appear to be black and white, but on closer inspection, a touch of brown usually can be found. Red & whites can be almost completely white with just a few spots of tan, or they can be a deep mahogany color with only a small amount of white. Most come somewhere in between. There are also lemon & whites. True lemons are rare. Their markings are mostly white that fades into areas of very, very light tan. To tell if it is a true lemon, the puppy, at birth is totally white with no hint of tan. The light tan color develops as they mature. It should also be noted that the color and coverage of the marking of the puppy you get at 10-12 weeks will change as they mature. Every once in a while, a "rare" blue Basset (actually it is gray) will come along. The blue comes from a recessive gene.

-=-=-=-=-

As far as I know there's "Tri" (brown, black and white) and "red and white" which can be brown and white or copper and white or "liver" etc ... those two are the most "common".

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Tri's can be open--lots of white. Open black and whites (tri's) are quite flashy. Red and whites come in a couple of forms--a mahogany color and a recessive, lighter red and white, sometimes with lighter noses.

Responsible breeders don't charge more for one color or another, and they don't deliberately breed blue bassets because of their risk for some skin disorders.

(Word to the wise...Roy's is an example of where you DON'T want to buy a basset. Blegh.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roy's? is that the one site that is Roy's bassets? He wrote on his site that he was the cheapest around on the net?

T

·
0 Posts
Jen: Not trying to be a smart-ass, but that should tell you something (the fact that he's advertising and apparently proud of the fact that he's the cheapest). He's in it for the money, not to produce quality pups. (Even if they are only going to be pets, not necessarily shown.) There was a discussion of his practices in this group a while back. Its suspected (don't know if anyone knows for sure) that he does not do any genetic screening. Research, research, research ... you're off to a good start!

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i read his site not that long ago, but the part i really didn't like was about his desposits! abaout how he used to take desposit without litters on the ground, and that he said he was sorry if everyone that placed a despoist didn't recieve a puppy! That was one of the few things that made me never want to deal with him!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts