Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bassets have some of the most widely varied colors and patterns. Help a novice out.
There are Tri-colors and red and whites, but are there MORE names like liver or blondes???
Dumb question, I know, but I'm just curious.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There are many different names for the colors and patterns --- liver, lemon, black and tan, mahogany, black saddle, open marked, etc. Many are not well defined and are in the opinion of the beholder --red or mahogany or lemon.

·
Registered
136 Posts
black and tan eh?

The one we're adopting is all black and tan except for a tiny white patch on his chest that makes him tri colored

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Dean ya forgot the first rule -

all color discussion must contain a ditribe on the merits and faults of "BLUE" ;)

·
Registered
939 Posts
seems like not to many of the northern Beaglers like the blue colored beagles,but down south they can't get enough of them? RED & WHITE should be a fault,just a stupid color for a dog!!!!! LOL

T

·
0 Posts
Hey, BassetMomma -- who's the imposter on the right? (Listen to me talking --- I just have one and its a "bagel"!)

Janet 'n Twink

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess Dudley would be considered a tri-color, black saddled, with freckeled colar and evening gloves ensemble! ;) BTW...Blue is NOT good in a hound ;) That was something I double checked (18 times) when we adopted him. In a show ring (no delusions here) is that considered a fault?

·
Registered
939 Posts
blue is a accepted color,but some say dogs have some problems health wise,i don't have all the facts but if toughy chimes in he will put up about 50 articles on the subject( not 50,only kidding,he has a lot of this stuff on file!).now i don't care for real what color the dog is as long as it runs a rabbit,i just like Tri's and Black & Tans.The beagles that i've seen that are blue have had no health problems and even thier Red and Whites or Red Ticked our a different red than the bassets.i like the beagle Reds and Blues.now if you ran across a breeder charging more for these colored dogs stay away from them unless you really want one bad enough,a good breeder will charge one price and not charge by color.

·
Registered
939 Posts
perfect example of a bad breeder!!!! i'll see you on Saturday Dean.Ike is spitting fire and scorching rabbit tails!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts