Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been in the ring with other breeds, I know that some colors are put up more often....supposedly with all other things being equal (or not). I really like a nice tricolor Basset.... preferably with clean head and shoulder markings. Any experience with colors to avoid (other than the blue and maybe lemon) for the ring?

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Blue is undersireable, not because of the ring but because it is often associated with alopecia. Good breeders avoid it.

Other than that I don't consider color or markings when choosing a dog to show. The only concern I might have is when the placement of the markings make the dog look like it has a structural fault when it does not, but even then it won't prevent a good dog from finishing.

Some judges have a personal preference for tris or reds. Some markings are more eye catching than others. But good judges have color and markings way down on the list of what they are looking for in this breed.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know some markings may draw the eye away from a good head or shoulder, and to some extent vice-versa. I know that blue was not a Fox Hound color as the standard used to call for, but just wondered if for instance a tri was preferred over lemon, or more of a dark blanket dog....just in general. (These are not Fox Hound color combinations either). I get that color is way down the list over structure, but think good color helps.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
I think *flashy* color helps, and somtimes markings can cause optical illusions (like a straight shoulder marking making the shoulder itself appear straight) but I haven't really noticed an overall preference among judges for one color over another. Again, some have a personal preference but I've seen as many that seem to like red as tri.

I personally like tris, partcularly dark tris and blacks. So I have mostly reds and a couple of more washed out tris.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kind of my thoughts....I think a flashy color draws the eye, no matter what, and a dog with washed out markings or "unfortunate" markings has a harder time getting noticed. I don't care for B-U-C's "Monkey's" markings, but obviously no problems there...

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
"I don't care for B-U-C's "Monkey's" markings, but obviously no problems there..."

I don't particularly care for the dog, but my opinion holds no weight in the ring.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Just to pop in to say a white patch in the middle of the back can alter the look of the topline. As can white into the upper thigh, as opposed to brown, make a stifle look straight than deal and give an unbalanced look side on if the brown covers the elbow, but not the upper thigh. But the proof of good or bad conformation comes on examination and moving the exhibit.

I find a broken tricolour (flashy) can stand out more than a solid black, or saddle tricolour in a line up. But again 'any recognised hound colour' should prevail.

Colouring tends to go in phases (UK). At one point most seemed to be tricolours of some combination, then with the advent of the (still) top winning Basset in the country who was a bicolour, that's what everybody wanted. Sometimes towards the end of my showing career, arriving on the benches had me thinking I wasn't in the right area, so few tricolours there were.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting about the white patch up top, hadn't considered that. Had been looking at dogs with nice shoulders and markings that at a glance made it look straighter than it was....also the reverse of that. Also had seen a dog with a split face marking black/blue that I couldn't live with to be frank. Ditto for one with a bad blaze. Figured if I were judging....all things being equal... those markings would work against them.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Lucy had that - a white patch on her back that made it look like she had a dip in her topline.

"All things being equal"... in Bassets, it's pretty rare for things to be equal enough for it to come down to color/markings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts