Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get all bent over the topic. We're talking dogs here.

I've owned 5 Bassets over the last 30 years. Three have been tri-colored, blanket-backs. Two have been bi-colored, red or blonds. While the breed has acquired the rap of not being the brightest bulbs on the tree I don't think they are nearly the dimest either. But, the two blonds I did and do have (one male and the one we presently have is female) don't seem to be nearly as smart as the tri-colors. Is there a trend there? Or is it just a dog by dog thing and how they are managed?

The bi-coloerd red male we had for almost 10 years from a pup (Churchill, not a complicated name.) was dumb as mud. Never even learned his name. Couldn't teach him nothin'. The first one I had (Hannibal) from a pup was tri-colored blanket-back. Smart and personality out the ying-yang. The smartest we had was stole. We had Memphis from a pup. Very unique looking dog as she had NO demarcations on her face. Looked like she'd been airbrushed red from the tip of her nose to the occiput where it went into a black, blanket-back. By the time she was 8 months she could take basic commands as well as catch, stand, roll-over, retrieve etc. The two we have now were rescued. "Funk" (You can probably guess why I renamed him that. Hey! He took to it immediately and has answered to it since.) is a tri-colored blanket-back, seems to be pretty smart. Though not as much on the ball as Memphis, we don't think he has been worked with much. "Molly" a bi-colored blond, has just been rescued from a lady who was breeding several Bassets. Her new boyfriend doesn't like dogs. Yeah. That ought to raise a red flag. Love ain't blind it just hates to believe what it sees. Anyway, though friendly enough, she doesn't seem to answer to her name very readily nor does she respond to any other commands. Granted, we haven't had her but a several days but commands like sit, stay etc. should be responsed to if they were drilled in.

SO....Here is an opportunity to say yeah or neah. Are blonds really dumber?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
All my bassets are incredibly intelligent. The couch potato myth is just that - a myth. All of mine are tris, so I have nothing to compare them to.

The biggest thing with bassets, in my opinion, is they need a reason (usually food) to learn something. They have a definite "what's in it for me" attitude.

However, many hounds do great with field work, agility, competitions etc. etc etc. Hounds are a lot smarter than many people give them credit for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All my bassets are incredibly intelligent. The couch potato myth is just that - a myth. All of mine are tris, so I have nothing to compare them to.

The biggest thing with bassets, in my opinion, is they need a reason (usually food) to learn something. They have a definite "what's in it for me" attitude.

However, many hounds do great with field work, agility, competitions etc. etc etc. Hounds are a lot smarter than many people give them credit for.[/b]
I believe "Memphis Belle" (Bob Morgan, pilot of the B-17 was a friend of mine, hence the dogs name.) was an exceptiopn. She learned from praise. Granted after about an hour she had about all she wanted of it and became stuborn as a mule.

·
Registered
775 Posts
My Maggie Mae (ATB) was a tricolor. She was VERY smart! Smarter than my purebred German Shepherd. Stickers is also tricolor and Rusty is Lemon & White. Stickers is definitely smarter than Rusty. She figures everything out 10 minutes before him :lol: I don't know if it's a female thing or a tricolor thing???? I do think females are more independent though ;)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
We presently have a tri, Bogie, who is very smart. You can just see the wheels turning. Our first Basset, Bubba (ATB), was also a tri and very smart, as well. Nothing to compare them to except a a mutt, a Lab, and coc-a-poo that we had over the years. Both of the Bassets are smarter than all the others we have had. The Lab was smart and very quick to obey, a great duck and goose hunter. The Bassets seem to think and figure out things, will obey at their speed, and boy do they have a memory. Bogie will leave a toy in another room, and several days later you can ask him, "Bogie, where is ducky?" Off he trots and comes back swaggering proudly with ducky in his mouth.

Our son has a Brittany cocker mix that comes to visit. He will grab one of Bogie's toys and Bogie will look at him and run to the back door wanting out. Zeus will drop the toy the minute he hears the door open and sprints to the door. Bogie watches him dart by, turns around and runs back to his toy and proudly sits there with it while Zeus is outside wondering what happened. :lol: This has happened numerous times. I think Bassets have been given a bad rap in the smart department, they are just thinkers and very independent, and yes they are food motivated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The word around my house is my tri female (Ester Rose) is a Genius and my lemon and white male is a Smart Boy. Anyway, they do know their names and will respond to other commands when it suits them. To me it's not about smartness, it's about them being our children.

(Dogs indeed! :eek: :angry: ;) )

·
Registered
360 Posts
My little Dixie is smart as a whip. Very quick. Clever. Diabolical often comces to mind :rolleyes:

My Belly ...my sweet angel Belvedere ...is Forrest Gump. Not always quick or clever. Very innocent. Just the sweestest dog ever.

I have to watch them when they are given treats or rawhides. Or when we have company. If you have a "Dixie", you know what I mean. ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a tricolor male and previously owned a red and white female. The tricolor
is by far smarter than the bicolor. Well, my rats was smarter than that one so :p
The tricolor the best at problem solving and manipulating his owners *blush* He
is good at independent thinking, and learns fast what will give him results and what
will not.

On the other hand the dumb as a lemming red and white had little of these skills, but
still she was by far the easiest one to learn tricks. There she exelled greatly. But still
the lowest IQ in the Zoo.

As you see trainability and intelligence is not the same in my world. You can train a
dumb person to perform a certain task, but a smart person can solve problems
independently.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a tricolor male and previously owned a red and white female. The tricolor
is by far smarter than the bicolor. Well, my rats was smarter than that one so :p
The tricolor the best at problem solving and manipulating his owners *blush* He
is good at independent thinking, and learns fast what will give him results and what
will not.

On the other hand the dumb as a lemming red and white had little of these skills, but
still she was by far the easiest one to learn tricks. There she exelled greatly. But still
the lowest IQ in the Zoo.

As you see trainability and intelligence is not the same in my world. You can train a
dumb person to perform a certain task, but a smart person can solve problems
independently.[/b]
Hummmmmmm. I never seperated the two. Maybe there is, or should be, a difference. Like book knowledge and common sense.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
My first basset Bud was tri color and such a good natured dog. We were kids at the time and we'd dress him up in old clothes, put sun glasses on him and he wouldn't bat an eye. He just loved it! I'd play with my Barbie dolls around him and he'd just wag and be so good. Bud's pedigree was good but the breeder told my folks that she wasn't going to put him in the ring because the white on his face was crooked. All her other bassets were show dogs. It was 1962 when we got him and we had to put him down 11 years later because of tumors which had grown inside him.

Ruby is very opinionated and VERY smart. She "gets things" the first time around. People are amazed how in tune she is with me. And I swear, she understands everything I say to her. (and I understand all of her noises too). Ruby is tri color; mostly black and white now but the beige on her face used to be dark brown. She comes from very good "stock" so to speak. Her pedigree is high end and a lot of her relatives are champions.

She's *is* our daughter as we like to say. We don't have any human children and while she's spoiled (but not allowed on the furniture), she's just such a good little girl (dog).

Janice and little Ruby ("If I'm sooooo good....where's my treats???")

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ruby is very opinionated and VERY smart. She "gets things" the first time around. People are amazed how in tune she is with me. And I swear, she understands everything I say to her. (and I understand all of her noises too).
[/b]
Good lookin' hound there. Even with age. "Hannibal" our first Basset got gone July 3, 1978. He was pretty smart. Don't know if your familiar with the Bob Dylan tune "Ride Me High." But there is a line in the song that says "....A fish that walks and a dawg that talks." I never sing that tune that I don't think about "Hube" AKA "Hannibal." I could tell what that dog wanted by his bark.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't know if has anything to do with how smart they are just how motivated they are. Sabian is red and white and he is very smart and persistant! He is the one who opened the refrigerator and he puts the toilet lid down so he can use it as a step to get to the shelving above. Pearly, my tri color, on the other hand really doesn't figure out things well because she doesn't have to..... she just waits for Sabian to get something down and then she takes it away from him! Now who is smarter?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts