Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently removed Trudy's daily collar to treat an area of red staining on her neck. (Wet fall....fungus among us) Mentioning this to my sister, she said she never has a collar on her dogs unless they go for a walk.

Our dogs all have tags with our phone, and dogs name and REWARD on them to encourage a timely call. Sue thinks there is more chance of a dog getting choked or hung up by a collar than one getting out......my concern taking Trudy's off was for that area to dry out..but am thinking of leaving them off, as we supervise them closely anyway.

Ours are also chipped, but any person coming across a dog is not likely to be able to scan one, hence the tags. Do you leave your collars on?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
We take them off. I've heard of too many cases of dogs getting their jaws caught in each others collars while playing. When traveling they wear buckle collars with I.D. plates.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Ours have never worn collars when around the house - as said, it's too easy to get caught up (when playing) and then there's fungus!! I had to remove an expensive flea/tick collar I bought for Frankie because it was turning his neck area red - could just have been that particular collar however!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK...they will stay off.....I worry too much. Area under her collar was staining red, but that yeast/"Lick" red; I got some stuff from the vet yesterday, a rub in product, no bath necessary. Skin looks fine, but noticed same staining in her "arm pits".
Had her in for a ruptured cyst which was looking infected. Fun Fun Fun. We go to our new training class Wed. Woo Hoo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts