Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor Jake is getting lots of loose skin. His collar won't stay up and slips and gets stuck in the folds of his neck. I won't leave it off in terror he'll get lost without tags and address -but wanted to know if there was a better brand for a basset. It's just a plain old cloth collar he's worn since puppyhood (well, not the same one). He's turned two and seems to be getting lots of loose skin around his face. Our other basset is plumper so I guess fills out her skin :)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We do have microchipping out here- but in our neck of the woods if a dog is loose without a collar most people ignore it- a dog with a collar they will try and take home. We are on the edge of the city so they could wander quite a ways. They are penned indoors when we are away but I worry on the off chance they'll run for the front door if opportunity presents. Jake already chased down a bunny once this spring :roll: While we are cautious- a 7 foot fence-concrete footer around it, gated kitchen... I feel safer with a collar. I think I will look at the martingales or keepsafe brands- Jake only walks with a harness and does fine then- but I wouldn't leave it on all the time.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I spoke with our vet today (since my Jake has hives now)- He likes the martingale- but also recommended a rounded leather collar for Jake. I guess we'll go check out Petsmart this weekend and see what is available. I liked the looks of the Keepsafe as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.