Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Jake is getting lots of loose skin. His collar won't stay up and slips and gets stuck in the folds of his neck. I won't leave it off in terror he'll get lost without tags and address -but wanted to know if there was a better brand for a basset. It's just a plain old cloth collar he's worn since puppyhood (well, not the same one). He's turned two and seems to be getting lots of loose skin around his face. Our other basset is plumper so I guess fills out her skin :)

A

·
0 Posts
Simple choke chain, that is all I have used for over twenty years, simple and hassle free. You can clip the tags to the P ring.
Arlene and OPus.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Never leave a choke collar on your dog unless it's attached to a leash and you're holding the leash. A friend had just come home from a dog show, let her basset outside with his choke collar still on, it got caught on a nail, and the dog was strangled to death.
Most dog owners are aware of the dangers presented by training or \"choke\" collars which can be made of chain or nylon. These collars can easily become caught on a fence or other obstacle, resulting in a dog that is marooned or strangled. NEVER leave a training collar on an unsupervised dog.

The lesson in all this: Use a training or \"choke\" collar only for walking your dog on a leash and leave that collar permanently attached to the leash. For identification purposes, use quick release collars. If you have more than one dog and the dogs are in the habit of wrestling with each other, do not leave them unattended wearing collars. (Naturally, dogs should never be left outdoors when their owners are not at home and they should be secure in the house without collars.) Keep the collar handy by the door which the dog uses so you can put it on him before he goes out.
For additional information on the dangers of regular collars see Collars

[ March 08, 2006, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What type of collar would a "martingale" be considered? I was looking at one of those-

M

·
0 Posts
Please consider a Keepsafe Break Away Collar. Just like Barabara said, most people don't realize the "danger" of regular collars. Go to their website and order one. PetSmart use to carry them but I just talked to the company and they didn't sell enough collars to stay on the shelf. Shame because they are wonderful. My German Shepherd always wore a choke collar. One day he was laying on our wooden deck. He didn't come when I called him which was unusual. Here, his ID tag got caught between the slats of the deck. My Husband had to cut the chain to release him. They are designed to release if pulled hard enough. They aren't any more expense and could save your dogs life. Just my opinion!

·
Registered
78 Posts
wendy,
you can find martingale collars at any pet store. the brand is Lupine...they come in many colors and designs.

a martingale works like a choke collar only its made out of nylon. it tightens when the leash is pulled....otherwise its loose around the dogs neck....

·
Registered
932 Posts
Just to add that with a martingale the collar will only tighten to a point - it depends how it is adjusted. It is much less liable to choke a dog than a chain collar.

A

·
0 Posts
I'm terribly sorry Basset Momma, I didn't read your post correctly- damn late night reading- I thought you meant when you were out for walks and stuff. I would never leave a choke chain on a dog unsupervised. I saw first hand when as a young lad Opus caught his dew nail in the ring once while having a scratch. He doesn't wear a collar at all when he is at home.
Microchip your dog if you are concerned about them getting lost, Opus is chipped,-as are my three cats- it is not very expensive or painful and it is a sure way of any pound finding you immediately should your dog ever become lost.
Arlene and Opus.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We do have microchipping out here- but in our neck of the woods if a dog is loose without a collar most people ignore it- a dog with a collar they will try and take home. We are on the edge of the city so they could wander quite a ways. They are penned indoors when we are away but I worry on the off chance they'll run for the front door if opportunity presents. Jake already chased down a bunny once this spring :roll: While we are cautious- a 7 foot fence-concrete footer around it, gated kitchen... I feel safer with a collar. I think I will look at the martingales or keepsafe brands- Jake only walks with a harness and does fine then- but I wouldn't leave it on all the time.

J

·
0 Posts
I don't think basset necks are designed for collars because it really would have to be uncomfortable in order to not slip off. That is the reason José doesn't wear a collar inside now (which is why I want to get him one, if he ever gets out). I am considering getting a choke collar & modifying it for José, so it would be more like a "necklace." It would slip over his head & tighten a couple inches (to where a normal collar would be) then stop. My husband is a welder so that ought to be easy for him to make.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spoke with our vet today (since my Jake has hives now)- He likes the martingale- but also recommended a rounded leather collar for Jake. I guess we'll go check out Petsmart this weekend and see what is available. I liked the looks of the Keepsafe as well.

·
Registered
932 Posts
We leave Daisy's collar off when at home. She has a lot of loose skin around her neck and it gets all damp and icky in there if her collar stays on all the time. She is microchipped, but she's never outside without her collar anyway.

[ March 10, 2006, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Marcia ]

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have rolled (rounded) leather collars on all my dogs with their tags. They seem to be easy on the fur and dogs don't seem to mind them.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
For years, I've gotten buckle collars from Orvis that have my phone number and the dog's name on them. My dogs wear them very loose, so it would be extremely hard for them to catch them and hurt themselves--in fact, they sometimes play by grabbing each other's collar and pulling it off. The collars last forever--they do fade a bit, but the stitching with the name and phone number holds up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts