Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ohdee will have her bandage removed from her foot tomorrow. (had a big lumpy cyst removed) I know they'll send her home with an E-collar (aka. "Collar of Shame). She's unusually built, in that her front end is significantly lower than her rear end. I'm worried the E-collar is going to be a hazard for her to move around.

Can someone direct me to links where you talk about E-collar alternatives?

I can remember someone talking about towels in the leg of a pair of pantyhose?

Any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Not exactly what you had in mind, but something similar. Have also heard that rolled up towels pinned around the neck will do the trick.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I remembered people discussing these, too.

I wouldn't have known where to start.

That has to be softer than that big bucket around her neck.

Thank you.

Tami

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a German Shepherd who had anal surgery. The best collar by far for surgery is the BITE NOT. Do a search on the internet and you will find the maker of this great collar. It is a great thing. I still have it. It was a bit pricey but much easier for my dog to manuever throughout the house. It doesn't obstruct their side view.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Here is Scully modeling a Bite Not collar, ironically enough after she had a lump removed from her foot too. We borrowed it from our vet because the "collar or shame" did NOT go over well at all. At least she tolerated this one.

Hope Ohdee's foot is healing up nicely.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Moe HATED the plastic collar he had to wear after one of his cysts got infected. He looked absolutely miserable!! He also has a back end taller than his front end, and yes, he got caught on EVERYTHING, from stairs, to walls, to furniture, to doorways, to branches. I had to watch him like a hawk and frequently rush to his rescue. If you find an alternative, I'd like to know. Moe may need to have cysts removed yet again in the near future... one on his elbow, and another on his back, are getting pretty large. :(

Terry

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
From time to time, I have to wear cervical collars similar to the bite not, and they make my neck muscles *really* sore. I wonder if they would make dogs' necks sore in the same way?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Edith had -- er -- 'unplanned' surgery last week. She has an e-collar that I'm only using at night, unless she starts bothering her sutures. I didn't order the Bite Not because I figured by the time it arrived we wouldn't need it, but I may order one to have on hand just in case.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Betsy, what size would you recommend for Moe? He's seventy-four pounds right now... are the sizes pretty accurate?

Terry :?:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Terry: When my German Shepherd needed to wear a collar my Vet suggested we order the Bite Not. That was 9 years ago! Well, he had several for clinic use only that he let me try on my dog. That really helped with the sizing. I had it put away in the attic so I don't remember the size. If your Vet has one ask could you try it on Moe to see how it fits. I also called the maker of the Bite Not to discuss the size, etc. The woman I spoke with was very helpful. www.bitenot.com Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Thank you, Maggie's Mommy. I'll check with our vet and/or call the company. We don't need one yet, but I want to have one on hand for when we do. Perhaps it'll make Moe's next vetinary event more comfortable... and thus a little easier for me. He breaks my heart when he gives me that sad-eyed look and I know it's for real.

Terry

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great advice, everyone. Thank you!

Ohdee update: I was able to just change her dressing each day, and tape her up well. All healing was coming along nicely. Collars avoided.

THEN, she was completely stressed on the 4th. I didn't realize she had completely soaked the bandage by licking it.

She ended up with a topical skin infection.! Good grief.

New meds and a cortisone shot...bandage off for air. She finally has left it alone and it looks great.

Thanks, again for the collar alternatives.

Tami

1 - 13 of 13 Posts