Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Stan to the groomer yesterday, and last night I noticed that his tail is limp. It's been limp again today, instead of the typical basset "held high and proud"... I've seen a few websites that describe something called "cold tail", which it seems is typical in the hunting/tracking breeds. When I touch it, he doesn't seem to be in pain or anything (he actually tried chasing it when I grabbed it, haha). Has anyone else had this experience? They expressed his anal glands at the groomer, so I'm not sure if it's due to that or if he got too cold after his bath or what. He's still wagging it from side to side, it's just down.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
He's still wagging it from side to side, it's just down.[/b]
More than likely it is caused by muscle damage in the area. It may or may not be painful. In my expeirence dogs that get it once are more likely to get it again. In basset hound getting after grooming appear more likely than after a strenuous day in the field. IMHO that is because there are way more getting groomed than spending a strenuous day in the field.

Getting a handle on Limber Tail

Dog health: Understanding cold-water tail
As the muscles are enclosed in a dense layer of connective tissue there is no room for expansion, instead the blood vessels are constricted, reducing the supply of oxygen to the muscles. Lacking the usual supply of oxygenated blood, lactic acid builds up in the muscle cells causing their deterioration. This causes pain and the dysfunction and may lead to inflammation in these muscles, further complicating the situation.[/b]

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Actually, most of mine that have gotten in have only gotten it once. Usually right after I've bathed them for a show.....but generally they're up again in a few days to a week.

Probably either the water was cold, or he got chilled after the bath.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I've had this happen to Lightning 2 or 3 times in his life (he's 11 or 12 now). I wish I could say that a trip to the groomers or day of strenuous activity was the cause, but I'm pretty sure it was neither. Each time, a day or two later he was fine. I'd never heard of the cold-water tail. That's very interesting. It is sad to see a dog that can't hold his tail up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've had this happen to my dogs and it's always been after a bath, either when they've been bathed at night or when it's been cold out. They recover after a couple of days and it was painful to them. Take care, Belinda.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts