Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the time of year when folks start to work in their gardens. I want to make sure everyone knows to avoid cocoa shell mulch. It's a by product of chocolate manufacturing, actually the outer shell of the cacao bean, and is available in many parts of the country. It contains significant amounts of theobromines, the compounds that make chocolate toxic to dogs. It tastes irresistible to many dogs, and can kill them rapidly. Whenever I see this for sale I ask the employees if they are aware of this hazard and most of them aren't. I have never seen a printed warning on the bags either. Spread the word when you see this stuff in garden centers...........you might save a dog's life!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Thanks for remembering to remind the rest of us. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I find a lot of people don't even know chocolate is toxic to dogs let alone cocoa mulch.

Our collie cross managed to eat nearly 2lbs of chocolate over the Christmas holidays (my sister left chocolate in a bag under my dining table without telling us) and spent the night at the emergency vets.
When I told people at work very few of them knew chocolate and dogs do not mix.
My father in law used to own a petshop and he didn't know either. He couldn't understand why I rushed her to the vets after I discovered what she had eaten :eek:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have seen warning labels on some bags and yes, we use it (!).

In our community garden plot on the asparagus well away from all dogs.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LaLa, it's great that at least one company prints a warning. The closest I've seen says "not for human or animal consumption". Not a strong enough warning to me. I have a friend who lost her two labs to this stuff.....I want to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else...... :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts