It's the time of year when folks start to work in their gardens. I want to make sure everyone knows to avoid cocoa shell mulch. It's a by product of chocolate manufacturing, actually the outer shell of the cacao bean, and is available in many parts of the country. It contains significant amounts of theobromines, the compounds that make chocolate toxic to dogs. It tastes irresistible to many dogs, and can kill them rapidly. Whenever I see this for sale I ask the employees if they are aware of this hazard and most of them aren't. I have never seen a printed warning on the bags either. Spread the word when you see this stuff in garden centers...........you might save a dog's life!