Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents and myself went in together and bought my younger sister an 8 wk old AKC Basset hound puppy for her 18th birthday. The breeder we got him from lied about worming him and he had a bad case of worms and he also had coccidia. We took him to the vet and she wormed him and and gave him something (I'm not sure what) for the coccidia. He is now 4 mos. old and has diarrhea every day and has had ever since we got him. Every time we take him to the vet for his shots, the vet tells us that he's probably just eating stuff off of the ground and that's what's giving him the diarrhea. But we're starting to think that it might be the coccidia. Like I said, he's 4 mos. old and has had diahrrea every day of his life. And sometimes the diahrrea is just yellow, mucous-like stuff and I'm no vet, but that aint right! I read that that is sometimes a characteristic of coccidia. The thing that confuses me though, is he is very playful, has a healthy weight and appetite and acts like he feels fine, the only exception is his belly is very tender. If you rub his belly, he groans loudly and somtimes will bite your hand. We are at our wits end as to what to do to help him. We are going to take him to the vet again tomorrow, but any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

RandyW

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
He is now 4 mos. old and has diarrhea every day and has had ever since we got him. Every time we take him to the vet for his shots, the vet tells us that he's probably just eating stuff off of the ground and that's what's giving him the diarrhea. But we're starting to think that it might be the coccidia.RandyW
[/b]

diarrhea every day is not normal regardless of the cause, the vet should be looking for one.

Diarrhea
DIARRHEA IN DOGS AND CATS

Coccidia
Coccidia (Coccidiosis): A Cause of Diarrhea
Because coccidia is spread by the feces of carrier animals, it is very important to practice strict sanitation. All fecal material should be removed. Housing needs to be such that food and water cannot become contaminated with feces. Clean water should be provided at all times. Most disinfectants do not work well against coccidia; incineration of the feces, and steam cleaning, immersion in boiling water, or a 10% ammonia solution are the best methods to kill coccidia. Coccidia can withstand freezing.

Cockroaches and flies can mechanically carry coccidia from one place to another. Mice and other animals can ingest the coccidia and when killed and eaten by a dog, for instance, can infect the dog. Therefore, insect and rodent control is very important in preventing coccidiosis.

The coccidia species of dogs and cats do not infect humans.[/b]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, see, he's awful about eating whatever is loose on the ground and the vet thought that was the problem. But we're taking him back tomorrow to see what she says. You posted that coccidia is transmitted through the fecal matter of other carriers, that's why I really think that's what it is. You know how I said he eats whatever's loose on the ground, well, when he's outside, if he catches you not watching him he eats wild rabbit droppings like crazy. I don't know why (lack of good sense I think! lol), but he's constantly trying to eat that stuff. Every time I catch him, I fish it out of his mouth, but he always seems to somehow swallow at least some of it. But anyway, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
You know how I said he eats whatever's loose on the ground, well, when he's outside, if he catches you not watching him he eats wild rabbit droppings like crazy. I don't know why (lack of good sense I think! lol), but he's constantly trying to eat that stuff. Every time I catch him, I fish it out of his mouth, but he always seems to somehow swallow at least some of it. But anyway, thanks for the info.
[/b]

coccidia ask Dr Mike
The first thing that has to be considered is that coccidosis is very common. It is likely that 30 to
50% of puppies have coccidia in their stools at some time during their first few months of life.
These may be coccidia from another species that the puppy or kitten has in the digestive tract
due to ingestion of stool, such as rabbit feces, squirrel feces or cat feces (in the case of
puppies). If this is the case it is unlikely that the puppy or kitten will actually have any clinical
disease as a result of ingesting the coccidia

... Isospora species can also be transmitted through ingestion of intermediate hosts, such as infected mice.

Isospora species that affect dogs include Isospora canis, I. ohioensis, I. neorivolta and I.
burrowsi. The species that affect cats include Isospora felis and Isospora rivolta. These
coccidia tend to be pretty species specific, so infection of a puppy or kitten is not thought to be
a risk to humans and puppies are not a risk to cats or infected kittens a risk to dogs. It is very
likely that if one puppy in a litter has coccidiosis that all puppies are affected. It is extremely
difficult to prevent coccidia infections, especially in group situations, so puppies coming from a
breeder with coccidia is not an indication of poor sanitation or poor health care practices. It is
simply a very common problem.

Coccidia spread when oocysts are shed in the stool of infected pets and then the oocysts are
consumed later by another susceptible dog or cat. Since incredible numbers of oocysts are shed
from infected pets, the environmental contamination with coccidia oocysts is severe. Puppies
and kittens often show signs of illness, usually watery diarrhea, before there are oocysts in their
stools, so it sometimes takes several fecal samples to know if a puppy or kitten is infected. In
addition, lots of dogs, cats, puppies and kittens are infected and are shedding oocysts despite
[/b]
Rabbit dropping while they may be a source of coccidia it would be very rare indeed if it were capable of causing an infection in dogs because the variety of coccidia is very host dependent. meaning those that infect rabbits only affect rabbits and those that affect dogs only affect dogs.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Are there any other vets in your area? It might be time for a second opinion. Something is definitely wrong here.

As for the breeder who sold you this poor pup -- they should be put out of business :angry: !!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts