Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted on this thread a few months ago about neutering my beloved Sabian. I initially decided against it.He is 3 1/2 and I had cancelled 4 appointments because I was so unsure. I ended up getting him neutered on Wednesday because there were aggression issues between him and my 15 month old male. I had consulted a well recommended behaviorlist and he said this was the only way to "even the playing field" for male alpha. Sabe did well with the surgery but by Thursday night his scrotum was swollen. By Friday his whole underbelly was swollen and very dicolored. His gum were and are so pale! His buccal bleeding time was ok. His RBC's initially fell from 57 to 32 but are now back up to 45. They did a smear of his RBCs and found that too many were enucleated. We sent off a PT/PTT yesterday (Man he bled after the blood draw). I am waiting to hear from the vet today. He is coming in today (SUNDAY) and going to call me results. We are condidering von wilenbrand (SP) factor VIII and factor X abnormalities. I am so afraid. Does anyone out there have any more suggestions? Sorry this is so long. Yvonne

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dear Sabian's Mom: Hopefully someone will have experience with this. I do not. However I do have experience with my husband, who carries a recessive gene that makes his blood clot too much, causing pulmonary embolisms. (Kind of the opposite situation.) He is on coumadin for the rest of his life. When doctors have needed to thicken his blood quickly (for surgery), they have given him shots of Vitamin K. I know that's not very helpful, but hopefully someone will know much, much more for you. In the meanwhile, prayers from me and snooter kisses from Twink to you and Sabian.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
VWD is a known problem in bassets, so it wouldn't be a surprise if he came back positive for this bleeding disorder. For more information, see Basset Hounds Shouldn't Bleed by Carolyn Young.

You might want to look at his meds, if any. Some meds knock out platelet function. Is he getting supplements? Some of those have been associated with bleeding, either through the presence of adulturants, or on their own, if given in large amounts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts