Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uhh! Can I pull my hair out?! :angry:
My Libby is a precious little thing :rolleyes: and nothing really bothers me about her, except her previous habit of eating poop. Yes, we succeeded! Anyway, she whines for me to take her out to potty in the morning at about 5AM, which I have no problem with. The thing is that when we go to the potty spot, she begins to shiver a lot. She's freezing and I don't blame her, it's cold in the morning. But then we stand there like fools for at least fifteen minutes until she is ready to go potty. It takes her forever to go potty when it's cold.
I wish I could buy her a coat or something? Does anyone on this site buy clothes for their basset? If so, from where and what size?

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
I know of somebody who makes really nice basset coats! She even makes beanies and visors too. I don't want to post her info publicly here without her knowledge, but if you are interested, send me a message ([email protected]) and I'll let you know how to get in touch with her. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I bought Maggie a coat at Petsmart. I thought she would appreciate something to cut the wind on those cold days on our walks. My husband laughs that we match because I have a peacoat and she has a blue coat with a collar and buttons. It actually looks like Paddington Bear's coat.

And when we add the yellow hat we bought from Old Navy - she looks a lot like Paddinton Bear.

The coat she ignores - the hat we've only had on twice for giggles - she's not amused!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Take her to PetSmart. The employees are very helpful with being pushy. At least they are at the store we shop at. They will let you try things on. This way you can see what fits her good. Nothing wrong with a coat or sweater if she is really cold. I once decided to put a sweater on Maggie Mae (ATB) at night when we went to bed. She started shivering and I thought she was cold. After all we lived in the North then and it was winter time. It was a purple sweater. She looked like a huge grape in it :lol: :lol: Anyway, after a couple of nights I noticed her skin started flaking. It was actually drying her coat out so off came the sweater. Later I learned her shivering was from her pain from aging and arthritis.

So I just wouldn't leave "clothes" on her except for going outside to potty.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have a dog coat sitting right next to me that I've been wondering what to do with. It's made like a horse blanket and is very nice. The company is "Classic Cover-ups". It's green with tan trim and has a velcro closure at the chest and a velcro belly band. It's 18 inches. I'll happily send it to you if you want it. It was for Stomps, who was only about 45 pounds when I first got him and would get very chilly in the winter. But when I put it on him, he wouldn't move. He'd stand in place for hours if I didn't give in and take it off. So it's barely been worn. If you think it will fit her you're welcome to have it. Contact me at [email protected]. The problem with bassets of course is that they are so long that most coats leave their butts exposed. This one is no different, but it fit Stomps well otherwise.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a dog coat sitting right next to me that I've been wondering what to do with. It's made like a horse blanket and is very nice. The company is "Classic Cover-ups". It's green with tan trim and has a velcro closure at the chest and a velcro belly band. It's 18 inches. I'll happily send it to you if you want it. It was for Stomps, who was only about 45 pounds when I first got him and would get very chilly in the winter. But when I put it on him, he wouldn't move. He'd stand in place for hours if I didn't give in and take it off. So it's barely been worn. If you think it will fit her you're welcome to have it. Contact me at [email protected]. The problem with bassets of course is that they are so long that most coats leave their butts exposed. This one is no different, but it fit Stomps well otherwise.[/b]

Thanks for the offer. First I will try to go to Petsmart like some have suggested, and see if I find something in her size. If not, I will contact you. I only need it for the morning, that's when its kinda cool out here in Texas.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought Maggie a coat at Petsmart. I thought she would appreciate something to cut the wind on those cold days on our walks. My husband laughs that we match because I have a peacoat and she has a blue coat with a collar and buttons. It actually looks like Paddington Bear's coat.

And when we add the yellow hat we bought from Old Navy - she looks a lot like Paddinton Bear.

The coat she ignores - the hat we've only had on twice for giggles - she's not amused![/b]
She looks adorable in that hat.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Pardon me. I should have said "Most coats are too short, leaving their butts available for viewing by all those who admire such a tremendous sight." That sounds a little pervy though.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
When we first got Ruby it was December in Massachusetts....snow and cold all the time. My mother crocheted a sweater for her. It was hilarous. She hated it but we got her to wear it twice. I still have it and when I take it out to look at it from time to time, it's sooooo little. :lol:

Janice

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ernest has a very foofy coat my mom bought him and that he wore today because it was raining.

He also has a fleecy thing that is a bit big, but works great in the car when he's snoozing. It is something you see greyhounds wearing.

I'm going to the lands end site to see if I can find him a squall jacket for next season. I hope he doesn't get much longer!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

Here is Bogie in his winter coat. We only put it on him when it gets below 10 degrees. Otherwise he is fine with his own very thick winter coat. We ordered it from Dr. Foster and Smith quite a few years ago for our Basset, Bubba (ATB). It was one we finally found that was long enough for a Basset back. I don't know if they still carry them or not. It's a little big on Bogie who is smaller than Bubba, but works on those frigid South Dakota below zero days.

This is Bubba with the same coat on plus his boots. He had very tender feet and he would dance on the cold concrete in the winter. Bogie can walk on hot coals (I think) and not be affected. Bogie will stand in the ice and snow and never seems bothered.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts