Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we had a close call today my husband came home early today with one of his workers with the idea of cleaning out the garage, He had his trailer with him and as they backed the trailer up the driveway they got busy and forgot about closeing the gates, and he let atticus and ryobi out(maddie was sound asleep in the house) then he looked up to see the gates open and dogs gone. He was so scared ,we live by a busy road, and all he could think about is the dogs being hit by a car. luckily they were just down the side walk (at the corner of the busy street) smelling around all he had to do was tell them to get thier butts home and they did. I am so glad for a happy ending, I understand about forgetting the gate, it can happen, we both are usually very careful about making sure it is closed and locked, but can't get mad as it does happen but am sooooooo glad that my two boys are all in one piece and home tonight.

although wonder what was going through their minds seeing the open gate. :roll:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Glad it turned out well! When Sadie was a pup, she got out once. The feeling was pure terror.

·
Registered
775 Posts
It is always scary when something like this happens. On July 4th we were grilling and my husband put Copper on a tie out in the yard {we have since fenced in this area] we went in for a second and I looked out to check on him all I saw was an empty tie out. I panicked ran out the door and there he sat on the porch. I was shaking for hours.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
We're so glad they were just sniffing out new scents. Mine have never gotten out but on occassion they have been quiet enough and well hidden so I thought they had. I can do without ever feeling that panicky again.

·
Registered
813 Posts
George got loose a couple of times when we first got him -- I think he was missing his little boy on the bicycle and trying to find him because he hasn't done it since -- and we had to go in search of him. It's an awful feeling. Once he was just down our street and another time he'd gotten his lead tangled in a bush on a spot of street with no street light so we didn't see him at first and had been from pillar to post yelling his name and getting increasingly panicked before we finally saw him. Perhaps they should be called Houdini Hounds.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before I got my new fence, Sabian was a master at getting the gate open. My heart was always in my throat when I was looking for him. Glad everything turned out OK. yvonne

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YIKES! That is scary! Before I moved into my new hose, I had to put Claire on a tie out since I didn't have a fenced in yard. She loved to just hang out there sniffing around. I checked on her all the time, but between checks one time she had managed to pull the tie out out of the ground! When I looked outside and didnt see her I panicked! Luckily I found her sniffing by the garage just a few feet away, her tie out was tangled in some bushed to prevent her from going farther. That was scary! Now I have a fenced in yard and I pad lock the two gates.
Gald he is back and safe!!!!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Well...glad nothing bad happened.
Things like this will remind us to be a better mommy/daddy, right? ;)

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm happy your babies are okay. It's scary when they wander off. Last summer mine took off because the gate was not secured. I took off on the trails in back of the house and the husband drove around looking for them. I was so upset I was crying as I ran on the trails. Finally I made it back home dogless. At the same time my husband pulled in smiling. He'd found the boys sniffing around someone's yard. They had quite an adventure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts