Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have enrolled Scooter in a short (four session) "Click & Trick" class. Scooter is not a young Basset, she is 8, and she has had formal obedience training (not that she will actually DO down/stay, but that's another story), and she has done a bit of tracking. That being said - she just doesn't seem to clue in to the - click = treat thing. I'm not sure if it is the way I am doing it or what. She is totally food motivated, so that isn't it. I have a call in to the trainer, so I'll see what she suggests, I just wondered if anyone here had done any clicker training and had any suggestions.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
First of all, does she *hear* the clicker? If she hears it, then my understanding of clicker use is that the first step is to simply pair the clicker to a treat. Basically, this means just clicking and treating multiple times, over multiple sessions. No other behaviors are involved--you don't ask for a sit or a down, for example--you just click and treat, ad nauseam, until the dog alerts to the clicker. Is this what you've been doing? If so, are you using high-value treats? Please also let us know what your trainer advises. :)

·
Registered
939 Posts
this training works!!!! i just snap my fingers and my wife does what ever i tell her!!! :p

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Got any buyers for that bridge you're selling? :lol:

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
First of all, does she *hear* the clicker? If she hears it, then my understanding of clicker use is that the first step is to simply pair the clicker to a treat. Basically, this means just clicking and treating multiple times, over multiple sessions. No other behaviors are involved--you don't ask for a sit or a down, for example--you just click and treat, ad nauseam, until the dog alerts to the clicker. Is this what you've been doing? If so, are you using high-value treats? Please also let us know what your trainer advises. :)
[/b]

Exactly, keep sessions short, no more than 5 minutes with a high reward rate, 5 - 10 rewards per minute.
When "loading the clicker" you do not want to command or cue a particular behavior like Sit. For example The the dog to sit the dog sits c&t repeat. Many dog under the following senario never learn the click is associated with the treat. THey already know that there behavior of sitting following your clue gets then a reward. The click is meaningless. If the dog however is C&T for a variety of behaviours in a variety of place it will associate the click with the a reward. As it is important when loading the clicker to deliver the reward quickly, best in less than one second.

some links on loading a clicker.

Clicker Training
The first step in clicker training is to teach the animal that the clicker sound means that they will get a reward. To do this, the trainer does what is called "charging" or "loading" the clicker. The trainer clicks the clicker and simultaneously or immediately thereafter gives the animal a reward, usually an unaccustomed, tasty treat, one small enough to be consumed almost instantly. (Some trainers substitute play with a favorite toy. However, this practice can interfere with the goal of maintaining a high rate of reinforcement.) The trainer performs up to 20 repetitions per session.

Some animals tend to learn the association much more quickly than others. Dogs, for example, often learn the association in one session, with as few as five to 10 repetitions. Progress may be tested by waiting until the dog's attention is elsewhere and then clicking. If the dog immediately looks toward the trainer as though expecting a reward, it is likely that the dog has made the association.[/b]
An Introduction to Clicker Training

more broadbased clicker training sites

clickersolutions

Clicker Project

Shirley Chong Keepers page

] Karen Pryor's Clickertraining.com

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got off the phone with the trainer, and I'm going to try "loading the clicker". She suggested I have everything ready and try it with Scooter when we are playing; that way she is less likely to sit, and will be more likely to associate the clicker with the treat. I'll try it tonight and let you know--

·
Registered
939 Posts
"i've got some Ocean front property in Arizona,from the front porch you can see the sea"

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried just "loading the clicker" on Tuesday night, and then we had our class last night, and Scooter did much better! You could really see her getting the idea that a certain behavior was what warrented the click and treat. We will keep on working on it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts