Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their kind thoughts and prayers. We put Clementine to sleep a week ago today. She had really started to decline, and we knew it was time for her sake. So my husband and i spent the day with her last Monday--took her on one last walk and took her to the vet. We stayed with her the whole time. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

Its really hard to believe that she is gone...But we are hanging in there, all three of us (Winston-our other basset) in our way.

Thanks again....

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am sorry. I hope knowing so many others are thinking of you and understand will give you comfort.

Suzanne

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss.:(

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'm deeply sorry--you certainly did all you could for her, from the beginning of her illness to the end of her life.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I am deeply sorry about your loss. It's never easy to lose a family member.

~Heather

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Thinking of you.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm so sorry for Clementine's trip to the Bridge. Bless you for giving her that last - and hardest - gift of love.

You'll be in our prayers.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. The most loving decision we have to make is also the hardest. Cyberhugs to all of you.....

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm so terribly sorry. Belinda.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am sitting at my desk with tears streaming. I'm so very sorry. You tried so hard to make her well, but at least she's out of pain and playing with all the houndies waiting at the bridge for us.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had to step away today and think about what I wanted to say. I know we will all face the same circumstances someday and I only hope I will be as strong as you are! I want to send you comfort and let you know we are thinking about you and yours. I know that Clementine will be waiting at the bridge for you and she will be enjoying a life of play, and will be pain-free ...just waiting for you to join her! Again, I am sending you comfort and our deepest sympathies. We can only take one day at a time. Katie Lynne and Moosie's Mom.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all so much for your prayers and condolences. It means the world to me to have this type of support in such a hard time. We are doing okay trying to pick up the pieces of our lives. But there are reminders everywhere--her stuff, her hair, the spots from where she threw up, her collar, her dog bed...the list goes on and on. Suprisingly, I'm at peace about the decision. I miss her but I know she's in a place where she feels no more pain. I still feel sad, but I know it was the right decision. My husband is having a much more difficult time. He works from home--and so he has very little escape.

I just got a call that her ashes are ready so I know that will be hard. We are going to plan a memorial for Clemmie. Do any of you have any experiences with that? I want to plan something really nice for her.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
There are many beautiful picture frams etc. with angel dogs and the Rainbow Bridge. I think a lot of the rescues sell them.

There is also a woman who makes beautiful boxes to keep ashes in.

You & your husband remain in my prayers. Eevn though I know you did the right thing, I know how much it hurts. In time the pain will be replaced with all the good memories. I know she will always be in your hearts.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about your dear Clemetine. You will always know you did the best for her all through her life, as well as at the end. What a heartwrenching decision,to have to make. I've had do do it once, and I still cry when I think about it, and its been almost 7 years now. But I know, as you did, that I had to do it for my dogs sake. She desrves to be free of pain, and she is.
My thoughts are with you. She will remain in your heart forever.
Sally and Sherman

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. A few weeks after Agnes went to the Bridge I held a little get-together for some of our friends (2- and 4-legged). We had wine and Scooby Snax and celebrated Agnes's life. I had a nice framed picture of her, her ashes in a beautiful red toile urn, a Sally's bits of clay figurine of her some friends had sent, and the cards I had received, out for everyone to see. We shared tears and laughter and it was very healing. All that was missing were some chicken McNuggets (Agnes's favorite). It really helped us heal.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. As the expression so aptly goes, "Their only fault is that their lives are so short" You're in my prayers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts