Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently heard that some people use disposable wipes for regular cleaning of dogs' ears. Not having children, I didn't realize now many different types of these things there are. What I found was "Wet Ones", which are hand cleaners ...and a dozen or so "Chubs"-type baby bottom wipes. Two completely different things, I assume.

Do any of you use one type or the other? What do you think of this? It seems like a good idea for dogs with no real ear problems. I still have Dixie on her meds for the (slight) yeast problem that she arrived with but when I am finished, I'd like to have something to do regular cleaning with. I have purchased the tiny size ear "pads" from Petsmart but they practically get lost in a Basset's ears.

Thanks for the help ...

Faye

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found a brand of both ear and eye wipes at PetSmart. They are in a white canister-dispenser type container with a yellow lid. Can't remember the name of them though. But they work great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use the cheapo baby wipes from Wal-Mart on Molly's ears to get the gunk off the outside. They're cheap and they work great, and she gets lots of gunk going on. Plus, if they're gentle enough for babies bottoms, you know they'll be okay on her ears.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We use Huggies unscented baby wipes and Annie doesn't mind having her ears cleaned at all when we use these...seems to make it so much easier for all.

Kathy

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I buy the cheapest, and I try to get unscented. We have both the ones for dogs ears and for baby's, neither seems better. Also I have to admit Happy likes to have the wipes warmed up a bit.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unscented what ever is on sale I got a giant boxof Kirkland at Cosco they come in their own little containers I use them for every thing Take off your make up wipe up paint when I make a mistake, clean all parts of the dog

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use the type with aloe vera in them and then I bought some of those (white sterilized gloves, cotton) to wipe out. They seem to pull out more (4me) gunk. Tummy gets a lot of ear infections from day one. Doc says some houndies have more trouble than others. Happy to be a slave for Tummy Boy.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I buy the cheap brand by the case at Sams club. No alcohol in them just water and aloe. I use them for wipes in Lily's ears, cleaning Rosies wrinkles and just anything that might come up. I carry them in the "doggy" bag when ever we go somewhere with one or all of the girls.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rusty & Stickers breeder has been using regular Listerine to clear ears for years! Lets face it, it kills germs?? She said as long as the ear isn't red and irritated it's fine. I've been using it for the month they've been here. Every week we do our "grooming". We got a grooming table from a mail order place. First, we scale teeth, brush teeth, clean ears, buzz the fur between the pads (easier to see the nails when cutting) then we clip the nails. We finish with them getting brushed and some kibble as a treat!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts