Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably more of a breed question for my own curiousity...I believe the Basset hound that we saw the last evening was a European Basset hound as apposed to Woody being more American Basset. What is the breeding difference. To me it looks as if the American show more of the Beagle bred in them..is this an accurate assessment???? The European skin especially around the feet and legs seem to be more heavily wrinkeld. The nose seems to have a different arch to it as well as a slightly larger "knot" on the top of the skull...what tends to be other breeding standards for the European Basset???

I am asking out of curiosity having noted the difference that the older basset looked to my Woody...and I did read that their were 2 main breed types by different breeders when the breed was first being introduced when I first was reading up on Bassets.

Thank you so much for the information

Kristi:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
This is probably more of a breed question for my own curiousity...I believe the Basset hound that we saw the last evening was a European Basset hound as apposed to Woody being more American Basset. What is the breeding difference. To me it looks as if the American show more of the Beagle bred in them..is this an accurate assessment???? The European skin especially around the feet and legs seem to be more heavily wrinkeld. The nose seems to have a different arch to it as well as a slightly larger "knot" on the top of the skull...what tends to be other breeding standards for the European Basset???

I am asking out of curiosity having noted the difference that the older basset looked to my Woody...and I did read that their were 2 main breed types by different breeders when the breed was first being introduced when I first was reading up on Bassets.

Thank you so much for the information

Kristi:rolleyes:
Yes, curious here, too, and also what is French style? I came across that, too. guessing that there is some relation to basset artesien normand?

basset artesien normand - Google Search

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'm by no means an expert but I've noticed the Euro bassets seem to have a thicker bone structure so their whole body looks thicker and bigger in general. I've seen some that have less of a stop in their snout (more like a bull terrier relatively speaking).

Here are some examples I've found on the internet.

Basset in UK:

Basset in Italy:

Basset in France:

Hopefully that helps a bit.

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
To me it looks as if the American show more of the Beagle bred in them..is this an accurate assessment????
beagle is not part of the basset hound foundation stock. which were of french hounds that later became Basset artesian normande but at the time were not defined as such the english imported these, the ones with more bone mass and later crossed with at least one and probably more bloodhounds to provide even more mass. So no beage, but poor breeding tend to produce a hound that regresses to the basset artesien normand. which is smaller straighter legged and a snippy muzzle and rounder ears.

Basset Artesien Normand

for more details see Basset Artésien Normand 'de Bérénice'Basset Artésien Normand 'de Bérénice'

The is IMHO the derrivation of "french Basset" use by breeder of poorer quality dog to explain why their dog do not meet the breed standard ie. we purposefull breed a basset to resemble and artesien normand when nothing could be further from the truth.

In England contray to popular belief the basset hound was breed intially to look good in the show ring, there was no regard payed to hunting ability. It was not until a dacade or so later that thaey begain being used in the field. English Hunting thas a large aristocratic formality and hence the formation of hunt packs. The basset in these packs soon departed from those in the show ring in appeace. Again become sligher and as ive have been told purposeful bred to be more "close-Coupled" (the ribs extend back farther closet to the hind end creating less of a waist area. ) Theororetically the provides a more supported back and therfore less back problems. Again because poorer quality breeder dogs tend to look somewhat this variant these dogs are often explained as "english Bassets" when once again it is not really the case.

English Basset Pack hounds

European Basset hound simply means the vast majority of its pedigree is from dogs bred in Europe, Theorritical there is a slight difference in the KC breed standard, (FCI Mainland europe0 follows KC breed standard even though KC is not part of the FCI) the CKC and AKC standards but a good dog from any of these registries could win in the other. There are difference in tendencies/prefferences for eact registry. The eurpean dog tend to be bigger more massive, but that difference is slight when compared to that of a poor quality bred american hound vs a show quality american hound

top winning basset all time US

vsEuropean Winners

Most of the discriptions french, english etc are subtrifuge, a convienent explaination why the dogs do not match the breed standard.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mikey T, their seems to be a difference in the brow of the dog too....look how much more prominent in the European dog show as opposed to the American...that was one of the big difference in the Basset I saw as compared to Woody....and size difference might not be as noticable once Woody is full grown (he's not quite 6 months).

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
What an interesting thread; thanks for telling us about the distinctions!

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
their seems to be a difference in the brow of the dog too....look how much more prominent in the European dog show as opposed to the American...
Perhaps but I don't see it. I would refrain from reading to much into a couple picture of dogs, to small a sample size to make such a generalization, beside neither breed standard even mention the brow except to explain the amount of wrinkling on the for head when the head is loward.

besides the " but not excessive " additions there is the removal of "promenent haw in the UK standard as well. all of these address the BBC "pedigree dogs" concerns how much these change will have on what actual wins in the ring and the interpretation of the standard by breeders and judges we will have to wait and see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts