Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi,

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help. We've always had two bassets, and when we've brought a puppy home, the older dog would correct the younger one, but I haven't had a situation like that. I'm replying to this in part because it'll get bumped up, and maybe some one who can help will see it.[/b]
When we brought Bodhi (english mastiff) home, Zoey was one angry basset hound. She would go and lie down in the other room if he was getting puppy-hyper...and if she didn't outright leave, then watch out...she'd bite his ears and make him yelp. I finally got to the point where I'd have to feed them in different rooms and "protect" her when he would freak out with puppy behavior. I really thoughts we'd have 2 dogs that would have nothing to do with each other. After reading up on this type of thing, and becoming increasingly nervous over Bodhi's size compared to Zoey's, I started to realize that I just needed to moniter them together closely and let them sort it out. I try to reinforce everything in Zoey's favour by constantly making her alpha...wouldn't you know it's been a long 2 years but they are great friends now. They play together, and while he still annoys her, she's found ways to make him back off quickly.
I know this isn't the most informative, chock-full-o-advice post, but I want you to know there is hope. They will work it out one way or another and probably time will be your friend when it coms to something like this. If you feel the situation is getting out of hand, don't be afraid to step in there- you're the super-alpha ;) Good luck!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts