Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
It has been a very long time since I posted, but I now have my computer back and will be enjoying the group again!!
Ok, now I need some advice. Claire is my bassett, 3 1/2 years old, I have a corgi mix Porkchop, about 10ish, and I recently got a Golden Retreiver puppy (Ava), and she is about 10 weeks old. Claire has never had any problems with other dogs, even younger ones, but she DOES NOT like Ava at all! Granted, when we tried to introduce them, we were outside, and Ava pretty much bumb rushed her, Claire tried to run away and then turned and snapped several time at her. Ava is submissive, and laid down, but I am just afraid she will end up hurting her. Alternately, I don't want AVA to possibly hurt Claire when she gets older and bigger.
We keep them separated by an X Pen most of the time, but are trying to slowly get then used to eachother. Ava and Porkchop get along just fine.

Any suggestions? It's almost like Claire can stand her for a few minutes, then she snaps at her. I'm so upset, I really thought that Claire would like her. I'm starting to feel guilty that claire is so upset about the new puppy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Annie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have had an adult dog and puppy before. As a matter of fact, Porkchop corrects Ava when she gets too hyper or nippy. But this just seems different, Ava doesn't necessarily have to be too rowdy or in her personal space for Claire to get snappy. A few days ago, Ava simply walked by her and Claire snapped at her.
I may be acting too over protective and may need to let Claire let her know who's boss? Like I said, I just don't want them to get hurt, and some guidance on "how much is enough" from maybe someone that has had a similiar situation would be great.
Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much! I will just have to closely monitor them, and let Claire get used to the fact that Ava's not going anywhere! I let y'all know how this turns out!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you thank you thank you!!! I've printed the articles and have begun to read them. This really is helpful, I was looking at the situation as CLAIRE being the inappropriate one.... after doing some reading, it makes sense what she is doing. I will be sure to monitor this, and share all of the info with my boyfriend since he takes care of them too! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you thank you thank you!!! I've printed the articles and have begun to read them. This really is helpful, I was looking at the situation as CLAIRE being the inappropriate one.... after doing some reading, it makes sense what she is doing. I will be sure to monitor this, and share all of the info with my boyfriend since he takes care of them too! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First off, I want to again thank you all for the advice! I am happy to report that that I followed the advice, read up on some things, and Claire and Ava are TOTALLY getting along!!! Initially Claire had to do some minor corrections, but Ava got the point realy quick, and now they play and play and play. I think alot of it was MY OWN inhibitions and nervous energy)
I will have to get some pics up soon!
I still supervise them all night when we are all together, and Ava goes in her crate to sleep at night, but all in all, things are very very good!!!!
Thanks again!!!
Annie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts