Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
It has been a very long time since I posted, but I now have my computer back and will be enjoying the group again!!
Ok, now I need some advice. Claire is my bassett, 3 1/2 years old, I have a corgi mix Porkchop, about 10ish, and I recently got a Golden Retreiver puppy (Ava), and she is about 10 weeks old. Claire has never had any problems with other dogs, even younger ones, but she DOES NOT like Ava at all! Granted, when we tried to introduce them, we were outside, and Ava pretty much bumb rushed her, Claire tried to run away and then turned and snapped several time at her. Ava is submissive, and laid down, but I am just afraid she will end up hurting her. Alternately, I don't want AVA to possibly hurt Claire when she gets older and bigger.
We keep them separated by an X Pen most of the time, but are trying to slowly get then used to eachother. Ava and Porkchop get along just fine.

Any suggestions? It's almost like Claire can stand her for a few minutes, then she snaps at her. I'm so upset, I really thought that Claire would like her. I'm starting to feel guilty that claire is so upset about the new puppy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Annie

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Any suggestions? It's almost like Claire can stand her for a few minutes, then she snaps at her. I'm so upset, I really thought that Claire would like her. I'm starting to feel guilty that claire is so upset about the new puppy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Annie
[/quote]

I can't tell from your email--have you had an adult dog and a puppy at the same time before? If so, is this different from the usual routine of the older dog indicating to the puppy how to behave, and putting the pup in it's place when it gets too cheeky?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have had an adult dog and puppy before. As a matter of fact, Porkchop corrects Ava when she gets too hyper or nippy. But this just seems different, Ava doesn't necessarily have to be too rowdy or in her personal space for Claire to get snappy. A few days ago, Ava simply walked by her and Claire snapped at her.
I may be acting too over protective and may need to let Claire let her know who's boss? Like I said, I just don't want them to get hurt, and some guidance on "how much is enough" from maybe someone that has had a similiar situation would be great.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Yes, I have had an adult dog and puppy before. As a matter of fact, Porkchop corrects Ava when she gets too hyper or nippy. But this just seems different, Ava doesn't necessarily have to be too rowdy or in her personal space for Claire to get snappy. A few days ago, Ava simply walked by her and Claire snapped at her.
I may be acting too over protective and may need to let Claire let her know who's boss? Like I said, I just don't want them to get hurt, and some guidance on "how much is enough" from maybe someone that has had a similiar situation would be great.
Thanks![/b]
Hi,

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help. We've always had two bassets, and when we've brought a puppy home, the older dog would correct the younger one, but I haven't had a situation like that. I'm replying to this in part because it'll get bumped up, and maybe some one who can help will see it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi,

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help. We've always had two bassets, and when we've brought a puppy home, the older dog would correct the younger one, but I haven't had a situation like that. I'm replying to this in part because it'll get bumped up, and maybe some one who can help will see it.[/b]
When we brought Bodhi (english mastiff) home, Zoey was one angry basset hound. She would go and lie down in the other room if he was getting puppy-hyper...and if she didn't outright leave, then watch out...she'd bite his ears and make him yelp. I finally got to the point where I'd have to feed them in different rooms and "protect" her when he would freak out with puppy behavior. I really thoughts we'd have 2 dogs that would have nothing to do with each other. After reading up on this type of thing, and becoming increasingly nervous over Bodhi's size compared to Zoey's, I started to realize that I just needed to moniter them together closely and let them sort it out. I try to reinforce everything in Zoey's favour by constantly making her alpha...wouldn't you know it's been a long 2 years but they are great friends now. They play together, and while he still annoys her, she's found ways to make him back off quickly.
I know this isn't the most informative, chock-full-o-advice post, but I want you to know there is hope. They will work it out one way or another and probably time will be your friend when it coms to something like this. If you feel the situation is getting out of hand, don't be afraid to step in there- you're the super-alpha ;) Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much! I will just have to closely monitor them, and let Claire get used to the fact that Ava's not going anywhere! I let y'all know how this turns out!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi,

I would suggest two books that both have sections on introductions, monitoring, problems like what you are talking about. The first is by Patricia McDonnell who is AWESOME! I did not read the second one, but found it when I was looking up the URL on the first one for you. Here they are:

Feeling Outnumbered? How to Manage and Enjoy a Multi-Dog Household at http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DTB722

Who Moved My Bone? A Guide for Multi-Dog Households at http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DTB800

Good Luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi all, when we brought Softie home Lexie(our older female basset of almost 2yrs) was not impressed so we phoned our animal behavourist and she said we need to let Lexie feel that she is still the boss of the house and if they fight - only repremand the new one namely Softie.

The are fine now!!! but it takes time and never pet the pup first - always pet or pick up your older babies!!!

We still need to do this sometimes...Lexie is very sensitive...

hope this helps.

Have a lovely day!
S>

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you thank you thank you!!! I've printed the articles and have begun to read them. This really is helpful, I was looking at the situation as CLAIRE being the inappropriate one.... after doing some reading, it makes sense what she is doing. I will be sure to monitor this, and share all of the info with my boyfriend since he takes care of them too! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you thank you thank you!!! I've printed the articles and have begun to read them. This really is helpful, I was looking at the situation as CLAIRE being the inappropriate one.... after doing some reading, it makes sense what she is doing. I will be sure to monitor this, and share all of the info with my boyfriend since he takes care of them too! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First off, I want to again thank you all for the advice! I am happy to report that that I followed the advice, read up on some things, and Claire and Ava are TOTALLY getting along!!! Initially Claire had to do some minor corrections, but Ava got the point realy quick, and now they play and play and play. I think alot of it was MY OWN inhibitions and nervous energy)
I will have to get some pics up soon!
I still supervise them all night when we are all together, and Ava goes in her crate to sleep at night, but all in all, things are very very good!!!!
Thanks again!!!
Annie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts