Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tree is up and so far the hounds haven't paid much attention to it. Once Sadie tried to get under it but hasn't gone near it since then. It's an artificial tree and we have it in the corner mostly blocked with the couch and entertainment center. I don't dare put any gifts under it I'm sure that would just tempt them but I do have our stockings under it and they haven't touched them. I also have a big Santa sitting next to the tree and I was sure they would think that was a big stuffed toy for them but they haven't touched that either.

·
Registered
775 Posts
What a beautiful tree! You are a brave person! We are putting our tree in the formal living room where the kids usually don't have access to unless we are there with them. Like I said in another post that disappears randomly :blink: that room is at the front of the house so the neighbors will enjoy the tree more than we will! I just don't trust them when we aren't home. We don't crate them anymore so they would be on their own. Two of the together equals double trouble!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm dreading putting our tree up this year. Last year with a young Snoopy, we were mostly OK, apart from him walking past and stealing the decorations from it.

This year... I know what you mean about double trouble... Snoopy has taught Henry how to be a thieving little sod. The pair of them keep stealing the cat bed. I fear our Christmas tree stands no chance.

K

·
0 Posts
It is still november isn't it? :unsure: Just checking :lol:

Lovely tree. I think we might just leave putting ours up until Jackson is safely on his way. Nosy puppy+xmas decos = trouble with a capital "T".

·
Registered
196 Posts
There's a house near where I live that fix their christmas tree to the ceiling so it hangs upside down. I think they might not be so crazy after all....

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a beautiful tree! You are a brave person! We are putting our tree in the formal living room where the kids usually don't have access to unless we are there with them. Like I said in another post that disappears randomly :blink: that room is at the front of the house so the neighbors will enjoy the tree more than we will! I just don't trust them when we aren't home. We don't crate them anymore so they would be on their own. Two of the together equals double trouble!!
[/b]
We don't have a formal living room or a family room, just the one living room so we have no choice but to put it up there. We crate the hounds when were gone, so I'm not worried about that. Their is no way I would trust Sadie & Max left alone without crating them. They have been playing all morning in the living room and then did their marathon run around the house but never paid any attention to the tree. I don't know if they realize it's off limits or it just isn't any interest to them, at least not yet and hopefully it will stay that way.

Kerrio, ya it's still November, but I always put my tree and all my Christmas decoration up over the long Thanksgiving weekend. I have tons of Christmas decoration through out the house and it takes a while to put it all up. I love it all and I want to enjoy it as long as I can. We do our yard up with lots of lights and yard ornament too. My husband works on that over the Thanksgiving weekend and I do the inside. Our city gives out awards for some of the best decorations each year and our yard got selected one year.

·
Registered
782 Posts
A few years ago, when Francis was a young pup, we went to a Christmas brunch, with others from our dog group at the park, at one member's house. The house was decorated beautifully, with a gorgeous live tree taking pride of place in the center of the room. All the dogs were getting themselves very worked up with the excitement, none more so than my little Francis, who paused in the middle of the action to go pee-pee on the tree, while I whooped and dived in to rescue the presents that were under there. :eek:
I ended up re-wrapping 4 gifts and replacing one to the cost of $35.00.
As far as Fran was concerned, one live tree is like another, regardless of location.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Ah, Francis :D We put up a live tree in December- Our dogs have always done well- I don't put anything fragile down low cause of tail damage but otherwise we do fine...

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I love your tree, especially all the angels on it.

I wish you luck with the tree & the houndies. ;) I put up a tree for years & Sadie & Spencer never bothered it. Then about 3 years ago (the last time I had a tree) I came home from work one day to find it un-decorated (but only from where they could reach down). :lol: There were ornaments & trimmings everywhere & someone had chewed up 6 handmade ornaments. Needless to say, I don't do trees anymore. The funny thing about it is the day it happened, my Mom had just left them 20 minutes before I came home and neither were chewers - had never bothered anything else in the house. So they had a wild & busy 20 minutes! I was so mad at the time, but now can laugh about it & wish I had taken pictures of the destruction!

·
Registered
144 Posts
We hang our tree from a beam, so I'm not so much worried about Ernesto pushing it over, but I really am wanting to get a small tree and put it on a table. TH is adamant that we get a normal sized tree and not decorate the bottom half.

I think that will look silly. :blink:

My fear is that he'll be so afraid of the tree, he'll bark at it or his kong will get stuck underneath it and he'll bark at it until someone reaches behind it to get out his kongie.

So, maybe we'll just do garland this year.

lala

K

·
0 Posts
I've seen the upside down trees and thought they were a great idea for us doggie peeps. Or people with toddlers. Or cats!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Last year Charlie was a year old. All was well with the tree and gifts. The only one he even smelled of was his. He would walk by once in a while and give it a smell and walk on until we told him on Christmas morning that he could open his present and it was like he knew just what to do. Then he wanted to help us open our gifts. This year I don't know what to expect. I'll take the wait and see attitude. We usually don't put our tree up until about the 15th of Dec.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It does seem a little soon with the early thanksgiving this year. I decorated the outside today, but that's just because the nice weather is ending Monday. Everyone must of thought the same thing, because our local walmart sold out of lights by Saturday night. I may have put stuff out a liitle early, but everything is unplugged on New Year's, and taken down on the first nice day.

I'm waiting to do the tree next week. Mine is tall enough for them to walk under, but they did swipe a few orniments off the bottem last year. I may place the tree stand on a crate, to raise the tree up a little more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have not put up a tree in two years...as we have two cats as well...and I am certain they would destroy it (one in particular...naughty Porter). But...I think that I may brave it this year, Dallas is going to have to learn early not to "touch" the tree...I am more worried about the nasty little felines I have in my home....

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What a cute picture of Doris under the tree, love the way the ornament makes her look like Rudolf.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts