Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following is dedicated to Bubba, his wonderful people, Guy and Connie, and of course, Charles Stanley.

(Please read the Christmas card thread first, to get the larger story this comes from.)

Jeannie and I met Charles Stanley while she was in the hospital not long before Christmas.

He was a 8-year old black kid, in the cancer ward with Leukemia. Of all the children we met, he seemed the saddest. (We met his grandmother later that evening, who told us he had lost both parents in a car crash when he was 3. Grandma was all he had.)

The first day that Jeannie was giving out Basset Christmas cards, he was in the day room with all the other kids, but he kept to himself, in his wheelchair over by the TV. When we got over to him, he seemed not be interested in the “doggy cards” as all the kids ended up calling them. Jeannie was trying to give him a card from another dog, but he was doing his best to not appear interested. When she tried to give him the card she had picked, he was polite, but gave it back. In the process, Jeannie dropped all the cards on the floor, and they slid all over the place.

As fate would have it, the card that slid right up to the wheel of Charles’s chair was Bubba’s. Charles tried to pick it up, but couldn’t really reach it, so I did. “Hey, is that a black doggy?” he asked. “Sure is,” I told him. “Bassets come in all colors. This is Bubba, he’s black, brown and white, you want to look?” I gave him the card and he was hooked. “Look how funny he looks with that Santa Claus hat on!” Charles said as he opened the card. Then he smiled and laughed a little. Jeannie piped in, “I think I got the cards mixed up, Bubba is the one for you.”

“Yeah, I really like Bubba, he’s cool and funny! Look how funny he sits, his butt’s all sideways!” Charles replied. “Thank you Miss Jeannie” he added quietly.

At that point we could tell he was tired and just wanted to look at the card, I think talking was taking a lot of his energy. As we moved along to the next child, I heard him say, in just above a whisper, “Bubba, you black like me, I wish you was my doggy.”

It was a heart-wrenching moment for me, but I left Charles Stanley alone with his Bubba Christmas card.

Jeannie was discharged from the hospital the next day, and we never saw Charles Stanley again.

His Grandmother called us after Christmas to tell us Charles had passed away on December 28th. They buried him with some of his favorite things, including the Christmas card from “his dog,” Bubba.

So, Guy and Connie, when you get to the Rainbow Bridge one day, don’t be surprised if Bubba is playing with a little black kid you never met.

That would be Charles Stanley.

A

·
0 Posts
The tears are flowing again, but thank you so much, Corvuss, for such sharing this wonderful story about Charles Stanley and Bubba's Christmas card with the forum. Bubba loved all the children in our neighborhood, and we even had them ring the doorbell and ask if Bubba could come out to play. We know that Bubba is loving having having Charles Stanley's little hands stroke his ears and give him belly rubs, as our neighborhood children did. As we think of this little boy and Bubba enjoying romps together at the Rainbow Bridge it brings smiles to our faces.
Bless you and Jeannie for the joy you brought to those little children when you shared the forums Christmas cards with them. You two are truly special people.
Guy and Connie

·
Registered
905 Posts
Just can't help thinking that the whole story is more than just a coincidence. It must be a comfort to Bubba's folks knowing that Bubba was used to bring a little bit of pleasure to a gravely ill little boy.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Corvuss, both these stories need to be shared. They are both so well written. (are you a journalist?) I think you should submit them to some publications, I know they would get published. People love to read these heartwarming stories... :)

Sandy

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I read this earlier but it made me too tearful to respond. What a touching story- as one who works with children like Charles it is especially meaningful. Thank you for sharing-

A

·
0 Posts
Gosh, it is amazing how things work out and how you can connect with a perfect stranger with dogs. You did such a great thing by sharing your cards/pictures and it is nice to know the boy loved "his dog". I just want to say thank you for making that child feel special. You must have a huge heart!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Like Wendy, I also read this earlier but it made me too emotional to respond. This is a wonderful story and I agree that it needs to be shared. How amazing that Bubba's card ended up exactly where it was needed most.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Oh boy, I can't hold back the tears. This is a really amazing story! Thanks for sharing. You both are wonderful people!
Life is so wonderful, we have to cherish it every moment of it, our basset buddies help all of us in their won special way.
(I just can't understand people that are fighting over differences, politics, religion, etc. - they are wasting their precious time!)

·
Registered
183 Posts
This is just too touching for words. Thanks, again for sharing your stories with us.

A

·
0 Posts
What a fantastic story! I found myslef crying at the computer, like so many others.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts