Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Better late than never...(I just couldn't do this before now).

A Huge Thank You from The Reed Family!

We need to thank everyone who sent us Christmas cards. My wife, Jeannie, has Multiple Sclerosis (MS). Starting near the end of October, she has had several “attacks,” which have impacted her (and the rest of us) greatly. I really don’t want to go into detail here, Jean asked me not to. Suffice it to say she was in and out of hospital three times, and needed a great deal of care when she was home. She has the type of MS called “relapsing/remitting/progressive.” It basically means she has attacks (for instance, she lost all sight in her left eye), but over time, she regains whatever function she lost. The progressive part comes in because she only regains a portion of whichever function. Including the recent attacks, she mostly regains 80% or more functionality.

November was really bad, the worst of her life so far. Obviously, taking care of her was/is my top priority, which is why I haven’t been around the site much. More to the point, it’s why there was no way I could do the Basset Christmas Card exchange. I’m really sorry about that, I very much wanted to. Particularly in light of what happened with all the cards we received.

There are no words to express how much those cards meant, and to many more people than any of you imagined. They started coming in during one of Jeannie’s hospital stays. I took the cards to her, and boy I was surprised! As you can imagine, Jeannie was pretty depressed with all of her health problems and being stuck in the hospital. She knew about the card exchange, but had forgotten about it, not surprisingly. When I brought her the first few cards we got, her face lit up, and I saw the first real smile on her face for weeks! She cried some, but they were Tears of Joy! I knew she missed our dogs, Dudley & Minnie, but had no idea that such a simple thing as some Basset Christmas cards would lift her spirits so! She was there for another two weeks and I took her the cards that came in every day, she loved them all. Soon, we made a Christmas tree-shaped mural of them on the wall, and word started spreading. All the nurses on her floor loved the cards, they would look for me each day, clamoring to see the next batch of cards! Basset Happiness was spreading! If this were the end of the story, it would still be great, but there’s more.

Her last week or so in hospital, Jeannie was able to roll herself around in a wheelchair. On her same floor was the Children’s Cancer center. Jeannie is fantastic with kids, so she went over to see them. She was there one day when I came to visit, so I took her that day’s five or six cards. Not only did she love them, the kids did too! I was (and still am) in awe of this wonderful woman I’m lucky enough to call my wife. While being very sick herself, she took the time to think of others who were far less fortunate. Most of the kids absolutely Loved her visits with the cards. At first, she just showed all the cards to any kid that wanted to see them, and listened to their stories. Some of them had pets at home and they would talk about their dog, cat, hamster or whatever.
After 2 days of this, she asked me to make copies of all the cards, which I did. The next day, we gave out copies of YOUR cards to any little kid that wanted one. Jeannie even made up a little story for each kid about the card they received, how it was from this dog, just for them.

So long as I live and breathe, I will never forget the looks on many of their faces. Here they were, in the midst of a fight for their very lives, having their spirits lifted by such a simple thing as a Christmas Card from a Basset Hound (and their people).

Most of those kids will make it, some will not. Two have lost their fight already, Rest In Peace, little Kathy Miller, little Charles Stanley.

If I live a million years, I can never repay this. Mere Words are not enough.

Thank you, more than I can ever say, from Paul & Jeannie.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Thank *you*. What a touching post.

[ January 28, 2006, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: S. Hall ]

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
:D

Best wishes to you and your wife.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks for sharing this wonderful story with us! It truly is amazing how something as simple as a card can make such a difference. We are so glad that we could be a small part of making a difficult time for your family and others a little bit better.

All my hopes and prayers to you both (and your pups too, of course :) ) for a happy and healthy 2006. Suzanne

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I was not able to participate in the card exchange this year, but after reading your post, wanted you to know you & your wife are in my thoughts. My family has also been touched by MS. I know hard hard it can be.

A

·
0 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing how much the Basset Forum Cards meant to your family and others. What a wonderful idea of sharing them with the children, and to know that our cards have helped Jeannie and the children is truly a "Christmas Blessing". We will keep Jeannie in our thoughts and prayers.
The cards were very special to us this year also. After Bubba's cards were mailed and being received by others, we lost him to Lymphona cancer on Dec. 20th as many of you know. The cards were on our kitchen sliding door and through our tears of sadness, we were able to smile when we saw all those wonderful Bassts looking at us. We said they would stay up and keep us smiling until we brought another Basset into out lives. They remained on our door until Jan. 11th when we brought Bogie into our home.

A

·
0 Posts
I think that you and your wife are remarkable. Thank you so much for telling this story. It reminds us all that things we think little about often are the most meaningful to others. Please take care and know that Huckleberry Floodhound is sending buckets of drool your way. Best of luck.

[ January 28, 2006, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Lynne & Huck ]

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BubbaLeroy,
Please check your PM and Email.

Thank you all for your kind words, it means a lot. Anyone that is remarkable is Jeannie, I just follow her lead...

I am (or have been) a member of many forums (this is the only Basset one) and I can say with no doubt, this is the best forum I've ever been a member of, and the best community I know of on the 'net.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Wow, I'm at a loss for words... thank you SO much for sharing your story with us ... my thoughts prayers and heart are with you and your wife and those children ....

and again thank YOU.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I did not send out cards, but I just wanted you to know I was very moved by your story, which was very well written, by the way. :) I have a huge lump in my throat right now.
I wish only the best to you and your family.

Sandy

·
Registered
181 Posts
I didn't send out cards either but your post brought tears to my eyes. My aunt has MS and she sounds a lot like your wife, it takes a special person to care about others in the face of their own pain. God Bless and have a healthy year.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Thank you for sharing that part of your life with us. It is very moving, it just goes to show that we should never take the even the little things we do because you never know how much your actions can affect others.
I pray for your wife and your family!

·
Registered
983 Posts
The tears are flowing. I never thought sending out cards would touch so many lives as you and others have stated in previous posts. At the time of ordering mine from Snapfish, I thought to myself "Geez, this sure is a lot of money to spend on cards". I'm glad the money wasn't spent in vain and even if the cards would have cost $100 it would have been worth it.
** Sometimes we are Gods angels and don't even know it**

I would like to say that recently I picked up some info on a 5K walk for MS. I have been training for it, kind of. You and your wife have encouraged me to send in that app to do the walk. I may even be able to get the company I work for envolved as there are over 300+ employees there.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Oh Corvuss, you and Jeannie will be in my thoughts. I do hope that 2006 will be a better year for the both of you.

Jeannie sounds like an amazing woman. That was so selfless of her to spend her time with those sweet children and bring them so much joy even while dealing with her own health problems. Though from the sounds of it I'm sure she felt that she was the fortunate one to have been able to spend time with them.

I'm so glad that our cards put a smile on so many faces. Rosie & Tucker are honored.

Rest in peace Kathy Miller and Charles Stanley

·
Registered
484 Posts
I am sitting here, moved to tears.

I wish I could give your whife a BIG HUG ! To be able to do so much for other people while fighting illness herself showes us she is a VERY special woman!!

Christmas 2005 has a whole new meaning for me now, knowing that my X-mas card, and the others cards as well has, might have given smiles and laughter to so many kids.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing this!!!!

A

·
0 Posts
Thank you so much for the moving story. I especially liked the idea of making up a little story to personalize each card. We never know what little things we do will make a difference. Your wife sounds very strong and corageous, I bet she would say the same about you! I hope 2006 will be a great year for you both. God Bless, yvonne

·
Registered
905 Posts
Thanks for sharing this Corvuss & Jeannie.Hearing your story, and about the children, somehow puts our lives in perspective and makes us realize that sometimes it can be the little things we do, that in certain circumstances, can have the greatest effect.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts