Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We generally prefer having a station wagon style car. So we can take the hounds on the back and still have enough room for humans.

We are thinking to get a Toyota Matrix (due to gas price lately) but we are concerned that the back of the station wagon won't be big enough for the hounds to lay down comfortably.
Anyone has this car?

Otherwise, I'll have to bring the hounds with me to the dealer and insist to have them "test lay down" it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Back in 2002, I needd a new car and we bought a SubaRUBY Forester mainly because of all best safety features and all the high ratings from Consumer Reports but also because I was able to get Ruby in and out of the backseat easier than the other cars.

At the time, this was our smallest car. A few years ago, Ruby's daddy got rid of the big SUV and got a sports car so now Ruby's car is our biggest car.

It's a great car as it took us across country. Not big enough for more than two humans and a basset who likes to stretch out in the entire backseat, altho it does hold a lot of storage stuff.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My husband has a Ford 150 truck but it's a huge jump for Huck. He'll go to the door and then turn around and look at me to lift him in. It's much easier for me to take him in my car, BMW Z3. He has no trouble getting in and out of that one. Only thing is he keeps turning on the flashers when he stands on the console! But he loves riding with the top down and we get lots of smiles and laughs when we're zooming around! :lol:

·
Registered
246 Posts
We traveled for 6 years and went through 2 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo's. When you lay the back seat down, you could hold field trials back there. But you do have to lift them in and out though. :D

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Tucson- by Hyundai- It's a small SUV- good on gas... and the houndies like it :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
We have a Toyota Prius. The backseat does lay down into the hatchback and there is a lot of room then. I haven't traveled with it laying down with Oliver but have traveled with him and my daughter in the backseat for a five hour trip and they didn't complain. :D He just streched out and put his head on her carseat. I'll have to find the pic. :wink:

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
If you're considering a new vehicle, you might want to factor your dogs' safety into your decision. My dogs travel in crates--the equivalent of doggie seat belts. I have a Toyota Sienna minivan and a Ford Expedition SUV, both of which accommodate multiple dogs in multiple crates. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Duncan and stella have a Honda Element. I can't imagine a more pet friendly car, it is soooo versatile. And easy to clean. Here they are helping mommy clean it...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Lina,

We have a Honda Oddesey and Baxter loves it. He is also a smaller hound so he is seat belted into a my buddy (car seat for dogs) and a harness which attaches itself to the seat belt. He loves it. Can look right out the window, feels safe, (we were in a car accident with him and he came from the back to the front in mach 0 seconds) and this prevents him from putting all the windows down and howling for us to come back if we go somewhere while traveling. Good luck, and I would totally bring the houndies for a test drive! Please post a picture of that! :lol:

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've got a Chevy Trailblazer that works pretty good for the hounds but I have to use a ramp or pick them up to get them in and out. However, a few months ago the hounds got their own BUV which is a Dodge Grand Caravan and it's awesome. It's low enough that they can get in and out on their own, I keep the middle seat out so they have plenty of floor space and the back seat is laying flat so they have their own bed/platform. The gas milage isn't too bad either. It's also quite comfy for the foodslave.

I know nothing about station wagons but I do like the looks of the Toyota Matrix.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input.
I currently owned an European station wagon (didn't want to say the brand), the spare parts of this car is sooo expensive. I'm afraid to pay another big bill when it brakes again. I love this car though, it has a really comfy back for the hounds and the size of the car is pretty compact. It's small but big. You know what I mean?

Yeah, I like Honda Element. I should consider that.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Copper has a Ford Mustang. He takes up the whole back seat when he lays down.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Scully has a Matrix! :D

I've had it since December and I love it. I'm not too sure about comfortably fitting more than one houndie in the back part though. Scully rides in the back seat, and we haven't tried to see how she does in the very back yet....I'll have to give it a try though. A friend of ours also drives a Matrix and he fits his 100+ lbs doggie back there though.

The Element looks like it's quite roomy and very doggie friendly!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Love Scully's avatar picture - that face!! :wink:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sebi has a passatt, and is very pleased with it. He can be harnessed in, and still have enough room to hang his head out of the windonw, and the back seat is more than enough space to lay down in for when he is being driven home by the staff from a long day out. Easy to clean, becuase it has a cloth interior coated in scotchguard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts